• I use none of them, it's the feedlots fault they don't marble

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't worry about it, my cattle are black

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mtnman

Reaction score
As purebred breeders, please tell me what you are doing to eliminate this problem.

I will assume if you say nothing, that you are doing nothing to change the issue.

Thanks

mtnman

You also assume that we, as purebred breeders are part of the problem. It could very well be other purebred breeders, could it not?

I forgot one.

I crossbreed Enlglish/Exotic, so I hit the targets very well, thank you.
:D

mtnman

I use ultrasound data. I don't put much stock in ultrasound epd's. I will also say that some of the responsibility for y4's belongs to the feedlot. There is another problem you didn't mention that may be one of the biggest contributors and that is lack of uniformity. It's a problem at my place. Feedlots can do a better job if the cattle are uniform....not that they always will . They are corn salesmen.

Mtman if I have a load of charolais calves out of RA cows every year that run Y3 and set on the buble between choice and select what carcass epd do I need to pay attention to and what number will improve my feedlot settlement sheet?

Research shows that the marbling is affect by how well the feeders are fed thru out their lifes. How many implants are these cattle getting during their life? After watching Superior Livestock sales of feeder cattle I wounder how the feeder gets some of these lots to grade at all. If superior feeder cattle autions are any indication we need a more consistant cow to work with. My question is what is the feedlot owner doing to increase the percentage of cattle that grade?

Too funny. :D Unless things have changed a lot in the last 20 years or so, it used to be pretty well known that Cattle have a maturity level as to when they are done. With high prices, I just imagine that it is pretty tempting to feed cattle a little too long. If you continue to feed them past that point you get high yield grades. No? :)

I personally think to much emphasis is placed on actual REA instead of REA/cwt. There is a whole lot of difference in a 15 in. REA in a 1100 lb bull and a 1400 lb bull.

We use EPDs and ultrasound. We are new to the ultrasound thing though.

Latest posts