Dang Subdivision

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
We had a good wind storm the other day so I went walking the back fence to inspect for any fallen limbs etc.. I noticed that surveyors had lotted off the property that borders the back side of mine. It looks like the rumored sub-division is coming to pass. :mad: Now I will have to constantly monitor the back fence for damage, trash and trespassers. I gues I should buy me a mean bull and put out signs. :mad:

It will make my property value go up but so will my taxes. Most of it is woods so there goes my deer hunting as they come through my 20 acres of woods to feed in my fields. I guess I will just log mine off and turn the 20 acres into pasture since the hunting will be worthless :mad:

I hate urban sprawl.........

That is one of the reasons why we are moving. I can't blame the landowner because they got mega bucks.

Hoss, I hate that happened but hopefully really nice houses and people will go in by you.

Dont discount the deer in small woody areas close to subdivisions. You might be pleasantly surprised. Of course then you will have to listen to the complants about you killing Bambie. :) That might make it even more fun.

Hoss I feel your pain. But before you cut down the woods you may need to think about this another minute or two. Woods are a good buffer so that every time you're out in the pasture you don't look up and see those houses looking right back at you. I've had people build 20 yards from the property line so they can enjoy the nice view across my field. It takes a while for trees to grow enough to block them. Not trying to be mean, but if I'm in my field I don't like feeling like I'm entertaining the STUPID neighbors, also if I want to take a leak I don't want to have to look in 9 different direction to be sure the coast is clear.

As far as the hunting goes, some of the newbies will think they're cute and will put out deer licks and stuff, so you may actually wind up with better hunting than you have now.

Trash, it's coming whether you have woods or pasture. The only thing you can do is go meet the new folls as soon as possible and casually mention your concern about trash, check your side of the fence regularly and if you find a mattress or old tire go have a face to face. Exchange phone numbers and hope they've heard of the golden rule.

Good luck
Cuz

It isn't the end of the world, but it's close.

You can't spend the increased value of your prop, unless you sell.

The more expensive subdivisions mean your neighbors have more money for lawyers. I'd prefer a trailer park and a couple good firearms.

Prosperous farmers are the only answer. But building lots will almost always outbid farmers.

Every time we think that someone might buy the 4 lots that are near our property line, MrGale says he'll go up and put in stakes like he's going to build something on our side and if the new people ask what he's doing, he's going to say "Hogs, 40 of 'em." I think he should say "Guinea hens, hundreds of 'em."

Gale Seddon":3imd89d4 said:
Every time we think that someone might buy the 4 lots that are near our property line, MrGale says he'll go up and put in stakes like he's going to build something on our side and if the new people ask what he's doing, he's going to say "Hogs, 40 of 'em." I think he should say "Guinea hens, hundreds of 'em."

As much as it hurts, I buy all the lots that come up - if they border on the farm. Now own two and dickering on a third - I will own it.

Expensive, but keeps the riff raff away.

Bez>

Horticattleman":79uecmfm said:
Put up a huge billboard facing the subdivision with something offensive.

That would most likley be against the local code.

I think it's a fact of life.

I don't want anyone telling me what to do with our place and thus I won't say anything about the next guy. If it meets code and abides by the law ... well there you have it.

Best bet is what Bez> does. Won't be any questions that way.

Gale Seddon":5zve2y3m said:

Hundreds of guineas huh?...I'd have them all ran over in a week...maybe less :lol:

HOSS":26a7m4oy said:
We had a good wind storm the other day so I went walking the back fence to inspect for any fallen limbs etc.. I noticed that surveyors had lotted off the property that borders the back side of mine. It looks like the rumored sub-division is coming to pass. :mad: Now I will have to constantly monitor the back fence for damage, trash and trespassers. I gues I should buy me a mean bull and put out signs. :mad:

It will make my property value go up but so will my taxes. Most of it is woods so there goes my deer hunting as they come through my 20 acres of woods to feed in my fields. I guess I will just log mine off and turn the 20 acres into pasture since the hunting will be worthless :mad:

spread manure on that back fenceline year 'round...they be run off before long...that's what I did to the dang russians here that lived down the road...didn't take them long to pack up and get gone

It's gonna happen to us at some point, but from what I've been reading, there may be more than one way to skin a cat. :D

Alice

HOSS":2czu6392 said:

Sorry Hoss. That's one of my biggest worries. The city has come out to meet us as well. Can't say I didn't know it when we bought the place, but I still don't like it. Mrs. Skyline wanted a short drive to the school for the kids. Along with that comes the sprawl. We've left timber along the property lines in our most vulnerable locations. And I've just finished a good wire mesh fence (6" x 6" staytight) in anticipation of the future neighbors. But you can't stop it. Just have to figure out how I can live with it.

I know a guy who put up signs that you could read when on the road leading into the development they were putting in next to him. They said things like "manure spread regularly", "active dairy", and "future site of manure lagoon". I am sure that it made some buyers think twice before buying a lot.

Dave":19zv0xpa said:
I know a guy who put up signs that you could read when on the road leading into the development they were putting in next to him. They said things like "manure spread regularly", "active dairy", and "future site of manure lagoon". I am sure that it made some buyers think twice before buying a lot.

That was a good idea because you know that they would complain when he spread manure and this way he could say I warned you.

I know of some people who moved about 1/2 mile as the crow flies from a race track. Then they complained about the noise. The race track has been there for many years. Go figure. ??

Bez>":pnuy7ln5 said:
Gale Seddon":pnuy7ln5 said:

As much as it hurts, I buy all the lots that come up - if they border on the farm. Now own two and dickering on a third - I will own it.

Expensive, but keeps the riff raff away.

Bez>

But do you then buy the lots the come up for sale bordering those lots and so on and so on.

hoss i know what you mean by hating houses close to your back 40.im real lucky.we own 400acs.so no houses close to use everan besides other family members on the 1000 or so acs close to an around us.an i know they wont sale.an 5 other people own another 700acs close to us that wont be sold anytime soon.so im pretty safe for the next 60trs i hope.

Texas Gal":d4jdhbbl said:
Start raising fighting roosters, donkeys and hogs on the property next to the development. ;-)

This cracks me up! I think this is an excellent suggestion!

Alice

Latest posts