Dang Hector's grown!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I went to my friends place and stayed the night last night, in the morning, I went out for a walk and saw Hector, the bull he bought from me as a weaned calf.. he's just over 4 years old now, and I'm not sure the picture accurately shows his size.. He's sure turned out nice, I might have to get him back!
He's sure impressive when you're standing next to him.
20160913_083445sm.jpg

last year to the day
20150914_191706sm.jpg

And at about 5 months I think?
IMG_8427sm.jpg

He's Mega's brother, and she *always* poses nicely.. they just seem to know how to do it (Daddy in my avatar pic did as well)

The bull lacked depth in the rear quarter at 5 months and still does at 4 years. Just shows me again that they can grow depth. But he's still a nice looking bull and should get the job done for a few more years.

Getting kinda inbred aren't you? The bull turned out real nice but you might want to consider
some outside blood. If it was me , and knowing what your herd composition is I would consider a real good red Balancer.

Bet a black Angus bull (or a red Angus bull) will boost up hybrid vigor in the calves in Nesikep's herd.

3waycross":1dgxjof6 said:
Getting kinda inbred aren't you? The bull turned out real nice but you might want to consider
some outside blood. If it was me , and knowing what your herd composition is I would consider a real good red Balancer.
He will only be breeding half sisters at most so that's not too close. All my biggest and nicest calves are from close ratings.. what can I say... it really is working, I don't plan to go crazy with it, but I think Hector can bring a lot to the table both for maternal traits and terminal too.

I don't think I'll ever use Angus , and there are no balancers around these parts. I will get a Gelbvieh bull calf this winter to use on the heifers

3waycross":1h3p6r0w said:

His cows are mostly all red, tame and culled on family lines instead of structure and soundness is all I know.

Nesikep":3d3g792z said:
3waycross":3d3g792z said:
He will only be breeding half sisters at most so that's not too close. All my biggest and nicest calves are from close ratings.. what can I say... it really is working, I don't plan to go crazy with it, but I think Hector can bring a lot to the table both for maternal traits and terminal too.

I don't think I'll ever use Angus , and there are no balancers around these parts. I will get a Gelbvieh bull calf this winter to use on the heifers

With the docility of your herd personally I would be very selective about docility if I decided to go the Balancer or Gelveigh route. We gave up a lot with the one we used and also some frame and carcass.

True Grit Farms":1qd6d8do said:
3waycross":1qd6d8do said:

His cows are mostly all red, tame and culled on family lines instead of structure and soundness is all I know.

He's been telling us about them for years....I think it's a fair statement. He already has a Gelbvieh foundation, some Hereford and I believe some shorthorn. That is almost identical to my friends herd that I have been helping him develop for years. FWIW he also has his disposition issues and what looks to be the beginning of some of the same issues my buddy had when he took over his Dad's cowherd. His father hadn't brought in any outside blood for 15 years.
He ended up with a herd that was just starting to fall apart at the seams. Cows dying for no apparent reason, weaning weights that were declining rapidly. One last thing I would point out; the bull in spite of his size had "some" structural issues (his back legs) when he was young and 2000 lbs. of meat didn't change them.
What we did with that herd was; a Gelbvieh bull, A Red Angus bull, and two Red Balancer bulls in that order. Last year we went back on them with my Tim bull and right now his steers avg in the high 6's and his heifers are gorgeous. In the process we have knocked the horns off them, knocked all the roan out of them, got the chrome down to the occasional black or red baldie and raised the weaning weights close to 100lbs.

One last thought....The last time I looked it was a REALLY GOOD IDEA to cull for structure and soundness.(Disposition too)

Latest posts