Dairy Lagoons

Help Support CattleToday:

dave_shelby

Reaction score
I have been considering buying a farm. Many of the farms for sale now are dairy and some have lagoons and some do not. Those that dont tend to be older, and have a simple pit. This leads to my question: what is the alternative solution to a lagoon? How is the manure collected otherwise?

And also - if I want to convert a dairy farm is there anything to be aware of with lagoon destruction? EPA?

If the lagoon is full of manure and water you'll probably have to check with TNRCC and get a permit and do it to their specifications. On the other hand...I'd probably just pump the water out onto the pasture ,fill it in with dirt and not say a word to anyone.

Contact your state department of Natural resources, or maybe your extension service can point you in the right direction.

TexasBred":2wrtg9ok said:
If the lagoon is full of manure and water you'll probably have to check with TNRCC and get a permit and do it to their specifications. On the other hand...I'd probably just pump the water out onto the pasture ,fill it in with dirt and not say a word to anyone.
Once it's pumped, if there is any manure left in the bottom deeper then a couple of inches, don;t just put dirt over it. I've pulled too many people out of old lagoons that they thought were solid ground and drove over them.

dun":wiouhun6 said:
TexasBred":wiouhun6 said:
Once it's pumped, if there is any manure left in the bottom deeper then a couple of inches, don;t just put dirt over it. I've pulled too many people out of old lagoons that they thought were solid ground and drove over them.
True...I've seen some older ones with a heck of a stand of coastal bermuda growing on the surface and were still being used.