dairy calve vs beef calves

Help Support CattleToday:

southrun

Reaction score
I raise herefords, calves are born in a barn which is not like a warm dairy barn :) . Thinking of getting some dairy calves for replacments. Will the Holstien calves be ok in a colder barn. Im in NY state, gets down to -15 some nights. I have raised them in a regular dairy barn, but I just wasent sure if this other barn would be to cold. thanks j

I'm thinking they should be fine as long as they are kept dry. The humidity and lack of proper ventilation in some dairy barns will cause as many, if not more, problems than a cold barn. Wouldn't hurt to hang a lamp for them although I don't like to do that. Afraid to lose the barn to fire ~ but then beefies don't need a lamp.
But, why do you want dairy replacement calves?

southrun":25yhdlug said:
Thinking of getting some dairy calves for replacments. Will the Holstien calves be ok in a colder barn. Im in NY state, gets down to -15 some nights.

I don't think I would keep them in a barn - but with a good layer of straw to snuggle into to, they should be just fine in a 3 sided shed type shelter. The main thing is to keep them dry.

I have raised holstein steers here in WI over the winters where it gets colder than what you mentioned.

If they can get out of the wind, they will be fine. Mine had access to the barn, but would seldom go in.

I would think they can handle it as well as any animal... We have several dairy's in this area and it does not appear that they are being "babied" with facilities, they do appear to get and excellent forage/feed (from a distance)
dairy beef is excellent, (never raised it but lived close to a very large dairy)...good luck donna

When the temps start running below freezing the fat content of the replacer should be boosted to 22%. Out of a draft and dry and they'll do fine.

southrun":268dsacy said:
Thinking of getting some dairy calves for replacments. Will the Holstien calves be ok in a colder barn. Im in NY state, gets down to -15 some nights. I have raised them in a regular dairy barn, but I just wasent sure if this other barn would be to cold. thanks j

It was -24 here this week and light Holsteins are selling cheap. They will eat more, grow slower, and are higher risk, when it gets sub zero.
The question is will you make any money...

If that barn has a concrete floor, keep them off it. They will be fine in a shelter with a dirt floor and bedding. I've used dried leaves that I raked up when hay was so ungodly expensive. Works good. My 2 cents.

Alice

Alice":2opfeycy said:
If that barn has a concrete floor, keep them off it. They will be fine in a shelter with a dirt floor and bedding. I've used dried leaves that I raked up when hay was so ungodly expensive. Works good. My 2 cents.

Alice

This is also the way we do it here in Vermont, where our temperatures are also very extreme.

We have 200 bags of leaves from our neighbors to supplement our small sawdust supply. We have dirt floors in our barns.

We also put a calf blanket on any calves we buy this time of year and put up a double folded tarp across gateways to eliminate wind and drafts.

CowCop":xd4kzcag said:
Alice":xd4kzcag said:

Alice

This is also the way we do it here in Vermont, where our temperatures are also very extreme.

We have 200 bags of leaves from our neighbors to supplement our small sawdust supply. We have dirt floors in our barns.

We also put a calf blanket on any calves we buy this time of year and put up a double folded tarp across gateways to eliminate wind and drafts.

When those babies can snuggle down into something and can get out of the wind, it makes all the difference in the world. And in the morning, when they come out to eat and the cold hits them, they shiver, but they seem to feel energized.

I think they're like most animals...it feels good to get cold and then snuggle into something that can insulate them.

I will say this, also...we didn't have near the mortality rate in the winter, and I mean extreme temps even, as in the summer...as long as the babies had shelter and insulating bedding.

Alice

I'd second the idea of jacketing them. I work for a custom calf raiser, and ALL newborns are jacketed immediately upon arrival, than housed in individual huts until weaning.

I raised holsteins heifers for years in a pole barn here in Pa.Used sawdust for bedding they were fine. We always used the best milk replacer we could get and stayed with the same brand. Make sure they have good air movement though the barn.

TB-Herefords":ifdtfzvh said:
Is the extra work in keeping these holsteins alive added into the cost at sell time. :?:
We used to get them pretty cheap, raise them for 2 years breed them and then sell them befor calving. We could make pretty good money at it then?

Latest posts