Dad Blast It!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Daughter miscounted on the days for when her little Jersey heifer was suppose to go into heat. I had bought 1 straw of semen for my milk cow. Vet had my straw, but we missed my cow's heat by a couple days while I was gone.
well yesterday morning her heifer went into standing heat. the 4-H steer was mounting her and she was standing.
So there went my straw!

It was a bull I had been waiting for the semen supply place to get in!

So she got my good one and I get her straw that is in storage.

You buy only one straw at a time?

Hope that she catches. We have one cow that has a funny heat. You have to breed her a bit later than normal. One year, we were having a hard time catching her at the right time. So my husband bred her at the appropriate time in the evening with Jersey and then again the following morning (when it should have been too late) with Angus. She caught and had an Angus cross calf. Now we know to be careful about not breeding her too soon but to wait. Silly cow.

Chippie the plan was to put the heifer out with our Hereford bull with our first year heifers. Well hubby saw her out and ran her back in and got everything stirred up so there went that plan.
That was the only straw the semen place had left of that bull or I would have bought more.

Latest posts