it happens that fast!

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Painful reminder of how fast a cow/heifer can kick ya. last night I'm milking, surviving the heat, and reached in to wash this heifer, and wham-got me on the top of my left hand, within seconds it swelled up to big proportions, and left me screaming in pain. I ran to the sink, got cold water on it asap, and then hoped nothing was broken. My son helped me finsih milking, and this morning its still swelled up turning a nice combo of pretty colors, but its not broken-but plenty sore. Got me thinking how fast something can happen. Anyone else experience a kick injury or any other injury on the farm?

GMN

Had a 3 month old calf kick me in the crotch last friday. At least it's been dry so while I was rolling aorund on the ground I just got a little moo mud on me and a lot of dust.

Steer kicked me a little over a year ago. Totally destroyed my left knee. First thing I noticed was when I hit the ground without putting my hands out.

It happens so often it seems abnormal to not get whacked. Granted I don't usually get connected as good as you did. I've learned who to watch out for and how to position to keep from getting hammered. With all of that said, the heifers this year must have forgot they were supposed to be a pain to break in. Out of 15 heifers I had maybe 2 that actually lifted a leg with the intent of using it. Knock on wood I might pay for it next year.

This very seldoms happens to me, and yes this heifer has been a problem, but last night I got her mixed up with another one, is why I wasn't on my game, I thought she was someone else. The last hand injury I got was 6 years ago, as you said you know which animals are problems so you practice safety with them, but stuff still happens.

GMN

There's a reason I call "shot" before giving shots while we're working the herd through the alleys and squeeze... very painful reason... I was about to give a shot and was on the left side of the animal (in the alley with the old bull that wouldn't fit into the squeeze) when a person helping us was on the right side of the animal decided to reach up and pour on the dewormer simultaneously... that rear leg thankfully hit a vertical pole and only caught me after it bounced off the pole...

...fantastic colors on my hip for a week (then it turned that sickly green color for a few days)

i got kicked in the shin so hard my wife heard the crack over the cows cryin all the way on the other side of the barn..she thought fer sure it was broken..but it got a good knot but it actually hardly even hurt..was very strange

GMN":wgksrims said:
Painful reminder of how fast a cow/heifer can kick ya. last night I'm milking, surviving the heat, and reached in to wash this heifer, and wham-got me on the top of my left hand, within seconds it swelled up to big proportions, and left me screaming in pain. I ran to the sink, got cold water on it asap, and then hoped nothing was broken. My son helped me finsih milking, and this morning its still swelled up turning a nice combo of pretty colors, but its not broken-but plenty sore. Got me thinking how fast something can happen. Anyone else experience a kick injury or any other injury on the farm?

GMN

My last one was like dun's....a real powerstroke to the crotch several years ago. Don't know who was faster...her kicking or me going down. Talking about swelling and pretty colors. Missed a couple of days work laying up.

dieselbeef":uqsug0ax said:
i got kicked in the shin so hard my wife heard the crack over the cows cryin all the way on the other side of the barn..she thought fer sure it was broken..but it got a good knot but it actually hardly even hurt..was very strange

Sounds a lot like a Louisville Slugger connecting with a baseball doesn't it. :lol2:

my 15 year old son bent down behind a cow this past sunday and got nailed in the shoulder.stupid move on his part,but he was kucky it missed his head.we have been telling him for months to pay attention when aroumg the cattle,now maybe he will be.

ive been kicked a few times as well.an that was by cows that normally wouldnt kicked.an years ago i had a show heifer that would try to kick me in the head every stinking time.but i was lucky in that i could dodge her kicks.i a;ways stayed away from the kicking cows.

Was kicked by a weanling calf several years ago. They were eating grain in the pasture, and I was wanting to rub them with fly spray (bottle babies :roll: ). Anyhow, he didn't know I was behind him and kicked the back of my left hand hard. I did not intend to sneak up on them, but should not have assumed they knew I was there either. My mistake. Plenty of swelling, but, due to nerve damage, took literally weeks for the feeling to return to the back of my hand and 3 fingers.

dieselbeef":10v9uyyh said:

I got a shot like that at the salebarn 2 yrs ago. It sounded so bad my buddy outside the trailer said it made him sick. I barely felt it.

And they say milk cows are docile! I always hated it when we brought a new string of heifers in for their first few milkings. Talk about a rodeo! Many times if it were'nt for manure spash boards and kick rails I'd have taken a hoof to the side of the face.

francismilker":1glzmmuq said:
And they say milk cows are docile! I always hated it when we brought a new string of heifers in for their first few milkings. Talk about a rodeo! Many times if it were'nt for manure spash boards and kick rails I'd have taken a hoof to the side of the face.

Oh yeah got that right, first calf heifers brought in for the first couple of times is a rodeo sometimes. Last batch did farely well, except for a few, that still can only be milked with can't kicker devices

People talk about how dangerous Holsteins are. Of course they are in such large numbers now. But the worst kickers I have dealt with were Jerseys. They are so fast. I have had them kick multiple times so fast you couldn't get out of the way. They can kick the biscuits out of a donut and just as you think they have settled down they can do it again.
When I was growing up getting kicked on a reguar basis was just the way life was.

Don't remember ever getting kicked on the hand though. Maybe I was lucky.

i never met a jersey cow that didnt love to kick.an them lil buggers loved turning around in the barn.an it was fun getting then to turn back around.as well as letting them out an having to back out the barn.an then back down the lane.

That's the single buggest problem with using Jerseys as oxen. That kicking deal can get you seriously hurt when you're trying to hook them to something.

To make a update, my hand is finally on the mend. 2 weeks ago what I thought was scar tissue turned out to be an infection. Alot of gunk came out, and after it was treated on a daily basis, the swelling is starting to recede, and the funny feeling I had when I extended my fingers is going away. There were tiny particles of dirt, or rock stuck in there, causing the infection, but now its healing up. I was getting worried there for a bit, as it seemed to be getting worse and not better.

GMN

Latest posts