D-Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Just remembering those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Dad was offshore providing cover fire for the landing had an uncle went in D-Day plus 1.
Can't really imagine what those that stormed the beach went through.

Kingfisher":gohzkt53 said:
Unsung hero's today to some...forgotten by others.

And I might add with today's younger generation, "Never known or will be known by others". It is a shame that our history is being shoved aside to promote someone else's agenda.

At the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford Va., today, they were going to have a Vet announce the names of the 2-thousand-some-odd men that lost their lives on that day, and a P-41 Warhawk do a fly-over.

That is a really neat place, I've been there a couple of times.

This was big when I was a kid (in the '50's). TV did special programs. All the TV guy's had lived through it. Most of the people had lived through it. Today, not much. We have forgotten history. I pray we aren't doomed to repeat it.

Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.

Very brave men in a terrible situation.

I just finished watching Ike:Countdown to DDay for the umpteenth time. I cannot understand how the Germans didn't hear them coming, with all the brass balls clanging together on the LST's.

The Greatest Generation for sure.

tater74":3h8zol14 said:
They were the greatest generation. We don't have men and women like that today.
Truly was the great generation.
I think there are some around like them, but as a population very few.
Today's generation has never has never known the kind of life experience that produced the noble and tough people of that generation.

Ryder":3orucyn1 said:
tater74":3orucyn1 said:
Truly was the great generation.
I think there are some around like them, but as a population very few.
Today's generation has never has never known the kind of life experience that produced the noble and tough people of that generation.

I agree Ryder. Funny thing is though.... That's that's part of what these people were fighting for..... Better life experiences for the rest of us. Kinda of a Catch 22. I greatly appreciate the sacrifices that were made for myself and this country. That takes something real special.

tater74":35tj9a33 said:

The men in our military today are just as good as those were. All they need is for the big shots to turn them loose and let them do their job.

TexasBred":1s7d948t said:
tater74":1s7d948t said:

The men in our military today are just as good as those were. All they need is for the big shots to turn them loose and let them do their job.

Yes, I'm afraid much attention is paid to how will this affect the next election, and how will this look on the news.

I never have a problem remembering D-Day as dad died on 6-6-02 58 years after he was there. Most of my uncles were in the South Pacific.
That was a very special group of men my marine uncle gave me the love of the 1911, bought me my first one in an Army Navy store.

Here is a picture my nephew shared with me today. Its my uncle in France. He never claimed to be a hero but I suspect he was quite a badazz in his day. I've never seen this photo before but have admired his war souvenirs. Amazing what they could bring home during the day.

13343071_1011005252347794_1361342306569061857_n.jpg

Latest posts