Cutting Torch

Help Support CattleToday:

I know its probably silly for me to do but I am thinking about taking a welding course at a local community college just to get a better understanding and maybe learn better techniques of metal work. I like metal working and so far the only thing I have made is carryalls for tractors and potato plows.

I've thought about it too Sky. I can dab a little bit. I learned on a MIG at a high school job but only now have access to stick and I suck!

J&D Cattle":1uxmnesn said:
I've thought about it too Sky. I can dab a little bit. I learned on a MIG at a high school job but only now have access to stick and I suck!

I dab a little bit as well I have alot of projects I want to try like making smokers and cookers and other things but I would like to have a little more knowledge before attempting some projects. My primary issue is I don't trust my welds on really important stuff or load bearing stuff. Now if its something that I think is a safety issue I call my friend who is a certified welder and has been doing it for over 20 years. He customized a tractor trailer-trailer for me and I can load anything on it with no problem and the welds are super strong no cracking or anything and I would like to have confidence in my welds like he does.

Anybody that has ever used a plasma cutter knows how good they are. When it comes to cutting rusty or scaly metal and anything else less than 1/2 thick they really shine. Anybody that doesn't have a porta-band needs to buy one, they are a great tool also.

highgrit":2b51blhz said:
Anybody that has ever used a plasma cutter knows how good they are. When it comes to cutting rusty or scaly metal and anything else less than 1/2 thick they really shine. Anybody that doesn't have a porta-band needs to buy one, they are a great tool also.

You have brought up a tool near and dear to my heart the porta band I love that thing.

Used to buy groceries welding pipe. When I graduated to 250 cheaters I let it go to the young guys.

fitz

I only have a stick welder. I have used a mig a few times. I prefer the stick. I can braze, and use a filler rod with my tanks. Most of my cuts are with a chop saw. I make a lot of roping sleds in the winter.

I am not good with a stick welder at all..I would trust my weld with a stick welder to hold a cocker spaniel it looks sloppy to.

skyhightree1":1xk16zyq said:
I know its probably silly for me to do but I am thinking about taking a welding course at a local community college just to get a better understanding and maybe learn better techniques of metal work. I like metal working and so far the only thing I have made is carryalls for tractors and potato plows.

I have also thought about taking a course, at first I though it would be useful to have an instructor watch me weld and tell me what I was doing wrong but I have come to learn that as important as that is I also need to understand the metals and how it all interacts to create a good weld. I would like to be able to make the repairs on the farm without having to take it to a machine shop we use when it is really important to have a solid weld. Thought I might also like to become certified, probably just a pipe dream.

Latest posts