cutting bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

waintx

Reaction score
Hey, as I mentioned in my "new to the forum" post, I don't have much/any cow experience, but Dad's not much of a computer user and I am, so...
We had a bull calf last Wed., and I was just curious when the best time is to cut him (is that what you even say about turning a bull into a steer?)? This is simply me asking - the calf is a Limo/angus cross, if that matters. Also, would a summer breeding for a spring calf give the current calf an extra bonus due to more milk exposure, or does it matter if the cow's pregnant again soon? What would be the benefit/disadvantage to waiting 3 months to breed again?
Thanks!
-TC

You can castrate/cut your bull calf anywhere from 1 day old to few weeks prior to weaning. I believe the younger the better. Day olds don't even know you did anything.
As far as WHEN you breed the cow, that strictly depends on WHEN you want her to calve next year. Whether she is a month or two different in her gestation shouldn't have any effect on her milking. Cattle should be able to be bred to calve on a 12 month cycle.
My cattle generally start cycling about 35 days post calving. I like to breed them on their 2nd or 3rd cycle - depending on timing within my breeding dates.

The younger the better. they do not bleed as much. I strted banding most of my calves. You need a tetnus shot to go along with the banding.

We've cut older bull calves only because their testicals were too large for the bander.

All other calve we've banded. It's easy, we've seen no infection. We now "double band" (use two bands in case one breaks). It is easy, and less: expensive and time.

Banding tool & rubber bands ~$15.00 lasts you a long time.

cut those bull calves as soon as you can get your hands on them. As far as banding you will be amazed at how many people can't count to 2 :lol:

LOL. I'll be the first to admit, it can be difficult on a small calf to assure you've got em both when banding. For this reason alone, I'm considering just knifing em as 2-3 day old calves. At least that way you can be sure you got em both. Nothing worse than finding out you have a one nutter running with your group of feeder calves a year later.. :oops:

Cutting them is best if you can. Diehard is right about missing a nut when banding, but it is a nice way off doing it when you process the calf at birth. Just make sure you have both. You can also band them up to one month old if you prefer. You can also use an emasculator when you cut them to help prevent any hemmoraging when removing the testicles.

Latest posts