Cutting Age

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
I have a bull calf thats 3 months old and im starting to work with him every day. I want to show him as a steer and i was wondering when i should have him cut/banded. If anyone has any tips on this subject i would greatly appreciate it.
-Aaron

I prefer banding, but as many people would argue cutting is better. Do whatever you feel the most confident doing, if you have to take him to the vet, let him cut him and get it over with.

We all have our our preferences. You can do whatever works for you.

They can be cut / pinched or banded at any time.

Bez>

well i do cutting just because you know you get them out. but then we also have to cut about 500 calves a year

through some soap on it do help with infection and maybe give him a shot of something in case of infection.

Then go ahead and cut. Its quicker and banding has a higher chance of flies getting in there and infecting him.

If you got 2 people, have one twist the tail while the other cuts. That paralyzes them, they wont jump or kick nearly as much

or just rope him throw him on the ground have some one sit on him at his head and have someone grab on back leg and put their other leg in between the calves legs. and cut away

We band our calves when they are about 1-2 weeks old, so they don't put up much of a fight. I like cutting but banding is cleaner.

I just had to take one of my 4-H steers to the vet last week to get a nut removed. It must have slipped past the band. So he was a beer/stull for a while but now he's a steer. :D

But do whatever you are comfortable with.

-Angus Girl

Latest posts