Cutting a Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ssgshelton

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well this weekend I cut a bull calf and wanted to get you all's opinion. On every other bull calf I have had over the past four years I have banded at two days old. Well, I A.I. this calf from a Select Sires bull (War Party) and it turned out pretty good. I wanted to keep him intact until weaning to see if he would make anything and maybe use him as a back up bull (I do 100% Ai but would like to have a backup).

Well I let him go a little too long and he got up to 7 1/2 mos and around 700lbs before I could get to him. On Saturday, I ran him thru the chute and cut him. It didn't seem like a big deal, he bled quite a bit but dried up about mid afternoon (two-three hrs later). I gave him a good wash of iodine, shot of tetanus, and put blood stop and blue cote on him at the time of cutting. Well Sat evening I notice a three inch string coming out his sack. I ran him thru the chute again this morning, cut the string, and gave him a dose of LA 200 (all I had on hand). I did notice his sack was tight as a boxing glove. It didn't feel warm but when I cut the string it started bleeding again. I also, again hit him with iodine, blue cote, screw fly spray and blood stop. He seems to be eating fine and is standing around vs laying down.

My question is, Should I do anything else? Is the sack supposed to be like this? Anything else I should give him. He did seem to grow better than another bull calf I Ai'd from the same bull but that I banded on day two. I think I will continue and just ai vs trying to grow out a bull. It seems too much work and stress on me.

Thanks for your help.

ssqshelton,
I just saw your post from last night. We late cut a few bulls a couple months after weaning every year, the bag swelling up is common. I late cut a set of twins bulls that failed to materialise 2 years ago, maybe 2 weeks before shipping the steers. They never showed any ill effects but were still too swollen to ship with the rest but most of the time they can go right along. You are doing alright just keep an eye on him.

Whenever I cut, big or small, I pull the cords and try to make sure I get it all. When we worked the Alabama calves this spring the guy who did the cutting had a Burrdizzo (sp) crimper. He left alot of cord for me, but he was a good hand and thats what he was comfortable with. We got along fine but I didn't think they bled that much less than pulling them clear out. At the feedlot I was told most of the bullers were caused by leaving a string in but my guess is 90% thats a old wives tale. I was told pulling the cord stretched the blood vein making it smaller and the jagged break makes it quicker to clot, never cut the cord clean with a knife. Thats a wives tale I like to think might have some validity. @

Latest posts