Customer Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, the cows are bred apparently. The bull is smaller than what I would like to see. By looking at him vs. the 12 month old bulls I have at home, he may be only 200 lbs heavier than they are (my current yearlings weighed 1050 at 11 months). He thought the bull was 3 years old now, and I made sure he knew that he was only 24 months old now. He kept saying that he thought he was 18 months old when he bought the bull, and his cows are going to be late calving.
Since the bull is much smaller than I would like one to be, I think the best plan is to purchase him back, and I'll try to see if I can put some weight on him, and get him to where he should butcher well. He was sold cheap enough that we should come out ok on it.

greatgerts":3j31mkpp said:
Since the bull is much smaller than I would like one to be, I think the best plan is to purchase him back, and I'll try to see if I can put some weight on him, and get him to where he should butcher well. He was sold cheap enough that we should come out ok on it.

That sounds like the best plan, under the circumstances.

I agree Rafter. Frame wise, he was close to where I would expect, but was extremely "lean" for a 2 year old bull. Scrotal development was not to my liking either. This was from a proven line on both sides, so it does surprise me, but those things happen.

How may cows was he with? And in what conditions. A young bull with a bunch of cows and not great food won't look too great no matter how good his genetics.

Supa Dexta":1gcfdqrg said:
How may cows was he with? And in what conditions. A young bull with a bunch of cows and not great food won't look too great no matter how good his genetics.

I agree. He had him with only 10 cows (small enough of a number for him to be able to handle). The cows were at 3 different places. I saw what he called the "calm" cows and they were bagging up. He had the others on some different land (where the bull was breeding them at) and said those were not kept an eye on. I assume that is also why the bull was smaller than expected. He had over 100 acres of basically free range last summer with those 10 cows.

M-5":2ix6znqn said:
sounds to me like he got his cows bred and wants to get rid of the bull. Buy him back and tell him to shop somewhere else next time. life is 2 short to deal with those kind of folks.
Good idea, charge him 50 bucks for each bred cow and refund the difference. :)

Yep... It were me and all cows bred he got exactly what he was looking for and if he was not happy id tell him take him to the barn.

Sounds like your gonna take the bull back, smart move in my opinion. I wouldn't charge a penny for getting the cows bred. you said he didn't cost a lot so you will be dollars ahead in the long run. If your gonna sell bulls you have to be willing to take a few hits, you can refund him or give him credit towards another. Id refund and be done, you will figure out the ones you tell that you have no bulls for sale, theres a whole family of those here. He may bad mouth you but you can say I made it right for him.

bse":1l6kreop said:
Sounds like your gonna take the bull back, smart move in my opinion. I wouldn't charge a penny for getting the cows bred. you said he didn't cost a lot so you will be dollars ahead in the long run. If your gonna sell bulls you have to be willing to take a few hits, you can refund him or give him credit towards another. Id refund and be done, you will figure out the ones you tell that you have no bulls for sale, theres a whole family of those here. He may bad mouth you but you can say I made it right for him.

Agree 110%.

You guys are probably right that the best bet is to just buy him back and be done with it. But if all the cows are bred and so the only problem is he is not as big or as fleshy as the buyer would like. That is no reason to return a bull if he is thin and nothing else is wrong health wise.. I think that might eat at me a little.

But I wouldn't worry about him running and telling people. If he is the type of person I suspect then I would guess most people in your area already know what type of guy he is or will soon and will take his complaints with a grain of salt.

If the buyer is a stand up guy and even if you do take the bull back he should definitely meet you at the least somewhere in the middle on the price. No way his conscious should let him think he should get 10 calves for free and returned every dime of his money.

Yeah. He asked if I had any other bulls for sale. I gritted my teeth and said that I didn't. Didn't want to deal with this again.

greatgerts":2otby2t9 said:
Yeah. He asked if I had any other bulls for sale. I gritted my teeth and said that I didn't. Didn't want to deal with this again.

It sounds like he wasn't all that unhappy with the bull, but took advantage of you. You don't need that kind of customer.

greatgerts":2onfl9yf said:
Back when I was still selling Bulls he would have only bought three first,last and only.
95% of the people you deal with are great, then there is that 5% you wished their dad had put them in a tow sack and tossed them over the creek bridge.

Caustic Burno":208td1j3 said:
greatgerts":208td1j3 said:
Back when I was still selling Bulls he would have only bought three first,last and only.
95% of the people you deal with are great, then there is that 5% you wished their dad had put them in a tow sack and tossed them over the creek bridge.

Yes, most of the people we deal with are wonderful. Have known this family for years. His dad used to be our butcher. We could tell he had cold feet after putting a down payment on the bull, and had a feeling this was coming. He said that since we didn't have one, that he was just going to go to the sale barn and use a bull for the summer. I feel bad that is what he is doing, but I had one bull that is being leased out, 2 March 2015 bulls (same scenario as last year could come back) and then the 2 bulls we are using.

greatgerts":nvkc9prg said:
Yes, most of the people we deal with are wonderful. Have known this family for years. His dad used to be our butcher. We could tell he had cold feet after putting a down payment on the bull, and had a feeling this was coming. He said that since we didn't have one, that he was just going to go to the sale barn and use a bull for the summer. I feel bad that is what he is doing, but I had one bull that is being leased out, 2 March 2015 bulls (same scenario as last year could come back) and then the 2 bulls we are using.

Don't feel bad. You are giving him every benefit of the doubt and taking the high ground. No need to borrow more trouble from a guy like that.

While the vet was out there you should have had him do a BSE on the bull. But if the cows are bred I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know how you can take you to court. I wouldn't give him anything and if I did I'd charge him for the bred cows. I tell him he needs to feed them cows. If he had 11 Cows and Bulls on a hundred acres it must be some rough ground. Or he's lying about that too. That didn't make sense I bet he moved in off a small lot where they didn't have any food. Why would you keep 11 cows on a hundred acres.

quartermeter":2ayme5kb said:
While the vet was out there you should have had him do a BSE on the bull. But if the cows are bred I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know how you can take you to court. I wouldn't give him anything and if I did I'd charge him for the bred cows. I tell him he needs to feed them cows. If he had 11 Cows and Bulls on a hundred acres it must be some rough ground. Or he's lying about that too. That didn't make sense I bet he moved in off a small lot where they didn't have any food. Why would you keep 11 cows on a hundred acres.

I can keep 11 cows on about 200 acres. Not all ground is equal.

NolanCountyAG":1tlnovcu said:
quartermeter":1tlnovcu said:

I can keep 11 cows on about 200 acres. Not all ground is equal.

Very true. 100 acres here would take care of 30 cows.

I agree the 100 acres not being equal. In Missouri, where we are at, 100 acres would be suitable for anywhere from 50-75 head depending on management. The ground he was on was river bottom land, and not cross fenced at all.

Latest posts