Custom processor appointment

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We had to customers ask about buying a beef delivered to meat processor. We called today. They are booked to January 2023. Not taking appointment at this time. Our Name put on standby list in case they get cancellation. Wow.

We had to customers ask about buying a beef delivered to meat processor.We called today. They are booked to January 2023. Not taking appointment at this time. Our Name put on standby list in case they get cancellation. Wow.
Is that public demand for local beef or cattle people not wanting to feed the JBS, Cargil, Tyson monster.

Assuming that you're right the question becomes how to win new converts. It's really hard to convince people that the whole low fat craze was insincere garbage.
Honestly, good doctors are our best advocate on the advantages of eating beef.

One thing that aggravates me is all the grass finished vs. grain finished debate.

It is hard enough to do good grain finish, but too many people have had very bad experiences with grass finished, which I think is even harder to do right.

Another obstacle is freezer space. Beyond the obvious lack of larger freezer space is the fear of a freezer losing power and ruining a bunch of meat.

I just found out that years ago my little town had a locker that people could rent space to store meat. Maybe other places had that in years past. I thought that was fantastic. Maybe that is a business opportunity for some enterprising soul if freezer beef continues to grow in popularity.

Last edited:
Our little local custom processing place is working on a new 18,000 sq ft place which is quite the step up in size for what they are in now. Business must be doing well.

Our little local custom processing place is working on a new 18,000 sq ft place which is quite the step up in size for what they are in now. Business must be doing well.
We have one that is closed right now to remodel. They were new, and did custom. They are converting to USDA. I do not know the square footage, but it looks big.

Why do the grass finished and grain finished markets consider each other their primary competition? I think we would get farther ahead if we worked together to take on JBS and the big corporate meat machine.
I think the start of the competition came from the grass fed side by the marketing strategy of promoting their product as more natural and more healthy.
I also agree with your assessment that folks in the industry need to work together to stand up to the big conglomerate packing companies as well as the cattleman's association that isn't doing its job of working for the producers in standing up to the packers or promoting the product.

I have read several studies that there is a higher ratio of CLA's in grass fed meat than in grain fed meat.... being a bit healthier for you. That said, I TOTALLY agree that home/farm/LOCAL raised beef is what we should all be working TOGETHER on.
Grass FINISHED beef is an art... and very difficult to do right. Yes, harder than grain finished... because doing it right requires real good management of pastures to keep the beef gaining good which contributes to tenderness and proper marbling.
That said, there is a difference in taste too that many can taste... but anything bought from local producers is what we should all be promoting.

I have 3 slots next year (2022) for July/Aug/Sept ? I think... or aug/sept/oct... and they had NOTHING available for the rest of that fall... and would not book into 2023 at that time. We have a slot for Aug this year for my jersey, who will be over the 30 months so will not be able to get back any backbones, t-bones and such due to bse restrictions.... then my son has appts for sept and nov or something like that... Used to be we could get in to be done within a month or 2 except in the late fall..... and if we had one get injured, could most always get it fit in within a week or 2 as an "emergency".... not happening now.

Part of the back log is due to the whole scarcity of meat with last years covid... the backlog at the big processing plants and the shut downs and all that. Some is due to the smaller guys shutting down as the older ones retired out and younger ones not wanting to take it over; to regulations getting too much of a PITA to deal with....
And the whole USDA thing, to where I can't get a beef killed at the loacal state inspected place, and "legally" sell my neighbor 25 lbs of ground beef and a few roasts or steaks without all the rules etc.... and so many not having or wanting to "tie up" their money in a half or whole and the freezer and all that.... AND, so many people not wanting to actually COOK real meat that takes some prep except for slapping a steak or burgers on a grill.... so the smaller places slowly went out of business and now the ones still in cannot keep up with a new sudden demand.

Add in not being to get help, and it has to be somewhat skilled to do this, and the start up costs of a new place, and the restrictions/regulations that have to be met....

Wish to he// that we could get a mobile unit or two around here.....some people could do their own cutting if they had a way to kill and dispose of the offal etc. and someplace to have it hang for a bit..... you might screw up some of the cuts but people could learn... or even to get it killed on farm then transported back to where then they could get it cut up in another facility...

When I was a kid the locker plant we used had cold lockers to rent. We would sell half and keep half of the animal. The butcher would split it up and place it in our respective lockers . You could pick up your meat whenever you wanted. We only had a smallish freezer so would leave our meat there and just bring home enough for a month or so. Our customers would do the same or coulp pick it up all at once to avoid rental charges.

It was a great business plan. It kept folks from having to have large freezers and gave him a recurring income. Imagine a plant like that today and the business they would have.

Is that public demand for local beef or cattle people not wanting to feed the JBS, Cargil, Tyson monster.
Both. Our demand was increasing before Covid. High prices for lower quality meat in the stores has really ramped things up.

Why do the grass finished and grain finished markets consider each other their primary competition? I think we would get farther ahead if we worked together to take on JBS and the big corporate meat machine.
The real problem is chicken. It's perceived to be healthier. It gets a lot of help with all these various recipes that cover up the lack of taste. Can't we compete with a nutritional turd like chicken nuggets?

When I was a kid the locker plant we used had cold lockers to rent. We would sell half and keep half of the animal. The butcher would split it up and place it in our respective lockers . You could pick up your meat whenever you wanted. We only had a smallish freezer so would leave our meat there and just bring home enough for a month or so. Our customers would do the same or coulp pick it up all at once to avoid rental charges.

It was a great business plan. It kept folks from having to have large freezers and gave him a recurring income. Imagine a plant like that today and the business they would have.
I bet that is what was here. I wonder how prevalent it was?