Custom Baling

Help Support CattleToday:

weezer1

Reaction score
Just wondering what one might pay to have someone custom bale alfalfa? Do most charge by hour, acre, or bale? I am also talking large round bales, should that make a difference.
Thank you.

weezer1":5yva6epl said:
Just wondering what one might pay to have someone custom bale alfalfa? Do most charge by hour, acre, or bale? I am also talking large round bales, should that make a difference.
Thank you.

In this area it is $1.10 per foot. Square or round does not matter.

Bez>

Bez>":171o8vy6 said:
weezer1":171o8vy6 said:
Thank you.

Bez>

What do you mean by "$1.10 per foot"?

Per foot of what?

MikeC":2lq4q3zf said:
Bez>":2lq4q3zf said:
weezer1":2lq4q3zf said:
Thank you.

Bez>

Per foot of what?

5 foot diametre round equals $5.50

8 foot long square equals $8.80

Bez

Bez>":1fy8vybp said:
MikeC":1fy8vybp said:
Bez>":1fy8vybp said:
weezer1":1fy8vybp said:
Thank you.

Bez>

Per foot of what?

Bez

You would cut, rake and bale for that?

In our area its $1.00 - $1.20 for large square bales. Thats just for the baling. If you give someone enough business they might go lower.

Around here, they charge by the bale.

FarmGirl - I think by large squares, you are referring to square bales that weigh less than 100 pounds, right? When we say large squares here, we are talking the 3' x 4' squares, which weigh close to 1000 pounds.

Dusty Britches":7k6aq0cc said:
Around here, they charge by the bale.

FarmGirl - I think by large squares, you are referring to square bales that weigh less than 100 pounds, right? When we say large squares here, we are talking the 3' x 4' squares, which weigh close to 1000 pounds.
Nope, both of us are talking about the same sized bales.

MikeC":2ozi7v28 said:
Bez>":2ozi7v28 said:
MikeC":2ozi7v28 said:
Bez>":2ozi7v28 said:
weezer1":2ozi7v28 said:
Thank you.

Bez>

Per foot of what?

Bez

You would cut, rake and bale for that?

Nope - just bale - I have enough cutting tedding and raking - I refuse to do it for others. They can do the prep work and I will bale. I will not load or deliver either.

I figure it would cost me about 15-17 bucks to "do someones hay" / per bale / so I would charge a minimum of 20 bucks a bale - and maybe more. Removes the aggravation by keeping the triflers away.

The question was -Just wondering what one might pay to have someone custom bale alfalfa?

To me that question asked how much to run it through a baler. If someone asked me to "put up their hay" - that means do it all.

I do not have time for that - we will do about 5000 big squares and at least 2500 round bales - and then about 2000 small squares for the pain in the asss stuff - I hire a couple of old guys to do the small bales for me - they will work nearly any pissant teenager into the ground. Plus they are darned good company - can carry on a conversation and actually have table manners. When it is just the men they have the foulest mouths running - when the women show up sugar and butter would not melt in their mouthes.

Both even know how to take their plates to the sink - yeah, we feed the help.

Wife loves them to death - they are both widowers - over 70 and act like they will live forever - my inspiration.

I absolutely hate custom work because something always goes wrong - rain, equipment, or whatever - so I charge - and I make money. But this year I am in the get out of it biz - I am actually contractng out some of my own hay - and I actually have time to sit down and eat supper and chat with the kids. Let someone else work their asss off in the heat. It is worth it.

Bez>

I should clarify my original question. Bez you are correct. I am just looking for a price for baling only. No cutting raking etc.
thanks again for the input

FarmGirl10":2aikcurg said:
In our area its $1.00 - $1.20 for large square bales. Thats just for the baling. If you give someone enough business they might go lower.

If they are baling a complete large bale for a total cost as you mentioned they are losing money.

I assume you mean per foot?

I could not for a minute imagine coming into a persons field and running a couple hundred bales through a machine - and then expect to be paid a couple hundred bucks.

Bez>