Current hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

hgfarmer":1xjwsli8 said:
spoon":1xjwsli8 said:
Do to the severe drought around here this year nobody got a second cutting so there is a tremendous hay shortage. People rolled their cornstalks this year just to have something to feed their cattle thru the winter.

Yea, and people down here are trying to sell the cornstalk rolls for 70 bucks.....I think i got lucky, we just stocked up on some good square bales for $4/bale, thats the cheepest ive seen around here...

Corn stalks??? Heck they baled the whole plant around here. There dang sure wasn't nothing to combine unless you irrigated and with $3 diesal I doubt that pumping water paid.

Hay in North Carolina is high if you can find it. 800 lb round bales of late baled bean hay is from 40-60 dollars. Good hay is 70+. 50lb bales of alfalfa are selling at 18.50 a bale. :eek: :oops:

Last weekend at hay auction, it was going $170/ton for grass hay.

It was in Sauk Center Mn. I did not attend, I heard from others who did.

Around here Alfalfa is going for 120 to 180 a ton oat hay 65 to 80 a ton wheat straw 50 to 60 a ton and grass hay is 75 to 90. We have had snow on the ground sience 11-25-07 alot of people are feeding sooner than normal and the price of hay is going to go up alot sooner.

Ohmy.... I can't imagine paying $18.50 for a 55 lb bale of alfalfa.... good grief..... we have 200 square bales of pure alfalfa and hubby says they would weigh about that and he says $5.00 a bale may be too much.....

My Neighbor just loaded his 24 ft trailer with 40 lb bales, about 300 to 350 bales. Put his wife and a couple kids in the truck and headed for Fla. for a week. Called it a paid vacation. Hard working farmer, never had money or time for a vacation before.

I think some of the speculators here have found they can't move the hay at the high prices. Seen it fall from $50 to $40 and also saw some outside Pavo Ga for $25 roll. Peanut hay made better than expected and this always will undermine the grass hay market.

Mixed grass 40 lb bales at the barn $2.75
Delivered 250 miles to Conn. pet store $5.50
Pet store delivered to customer $11.00
customer must buy at least 200 bales.

We just reserved 12 bales of orchard grass
$60/ton not delivered.
He is selling 2006 grass bales for same price.

Our nice weather and open winter is making more hay available and at a cheaper price...I think most good grass/alfalfa is going for $60-70 ton....I bought some round bales for $55 Ton delivered...Bought a trailer load of small bales (80lbs)-grass/alfalfa- to use for hauling horses around and easier to feed to stalled horses- for $65 Ton......
I bought some small bales of straw- that could be used for bedding or feed for $.75 a piece-- 40-50lbs each.....