Current hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":240y12zp said:
Some dude in Texas trying to make a buck off of the drought has an ad in the Alabama Cattleman (pg 27). He is asking $40-50 a roll plus $5 a roll too load and the buyer has to do his own shipping back to Alabama

I've been making hauls of 23 rolls per trip $65.00 - $70.00 per 4x5 roll to Ala. Ga. Tn. SC. The freight brokers want $2.00 per mile and up for shipping. :shock:

Brandonm2":1w2c7c6b said:
Some dude in Texas trying to make a buck off of the drought has an ad in the Alabama Cattleman (pg 27). He is asking $40-50 a roll plus $5 a roll too load and the buyer has to do his own shipping back to Alabama
i hate to tell you this but he isnt making that much money if any off the hay.add it up $20 min baleing $6 a bale for the grass $15 a bale fert $10 a bale moving storing an loading.thats $51 a bale,an he is barely breaking even on the hay.we sold 80 bales for $32 a bale.an that was costal non fert hay.you an i both know itll cost $30 or more pre bale trucking.so thats $80 a bale with no mark up.$100 a bale if you add mark up.so you need to sitt down an do your figures again.

I only buy hay by the ton, Rounds weigh any where from 6 hundred to over a ton.

We put in three loads of 1st cut grass and alfalfa for $80.

Lots of hay out west of here, but the trucking. :shock:

bigbull338":148py5ls said:
Brandonm2":148py5ls said:
i hate to tell you this but he isnt making that much money if any off the hay.add it up $20 min baleing $6 a bale for the grass $15 a bale fert $10 a bale moving storing an loading.thats $51 a bale,an he is barely breaking even on the hay.we sold 80 bales for $32 a bale.an that was costal non fert hay.you an i both know itll cost $30 or more pre bale trucking.so thats $80 a bale with no mark up.$100 a bale if you add mark up.so you need to sitt down an do your figures again.

If it costs you that much too bale hay, you need to just shut it down and find a new business.

no you need to understand droughts an suppy an demand.but most people will sell their cows out before they pay high for hay.an your the one gripping bout high hay prices.so you need to sell out.lets see this year even with hiring the baling done,the actual baling cost for my hay is $3 a bale or less.wrapp your mind around that.

bigbull338":q237oh28 said:
no you need to understand droughts an suppy an demand.but most people will sell their cows out before they pay high for hay.an your the one gripping bout high hay prices.so you need to sell out.lets see this year even with hiring the baling done,the actual baling cost for my hay is $3 a bale or less.wrapp your mind around that.

For many people it would be much better for them to sell out than pay jacked up hay prices. You have to do what makes you the most money long term. If fertilizer costs more money than you will make off the hay......then don't fertilize or rip up that field and put it in corn or doze in roads and build houses on it.

see we both think differant.an we both have differant opions on things.i can make money on things youd lose your shirt on.an you can make money where id lose money.an thats the way it is.ive farmed all my life.an i know things that some people dont but even im still learning.just like your learning.but theres always people that thinks they know it all.just glad im not one of them.

novaman":taolbh0c said:
I'm paying $70/ton for pure alfalfa hay, 2nd cutting with RFV at about 160 @ 21% protein. Of course this is for the dairy side of the operation. I can buy poorer quality 1st cutting alfalfa for $40/ton and feed it to the beef animals.
Wow and I thought I was doing good with burrs @ $45/ton delivered.

edited: I Left off the n in ton.

Couple of observations.
Hay cost of production has gone beserk, along with the general ag economy. Fertilizer is essential and it doubled in a scary short time. Machinery is also wild. Every input that has to be trucked is higher.
Around here you could buy "cow quality" hay for $20/bale =>40/ton last year. That price had held for several years. When production returns to normal, (it's raining gently as I type) the same hay will have to fetch 40/bale or more for the producer to lose just a little.
A shakeout is upon us, once again. I think a fat cattle price near 1.25 or more is what would keep this business breathing. It would take 1.50 or better to induce heavy breathing. We continue to shrink the cowherd.
It is not getting any easier, is it.

I was at Atwoods (farm store) today and they were selling sm sq. bales of what looked like pretty good bluestem prairie hay for $7.75. You could buy it this last summer for $2.25.

I paid $2.75 a bale for 1st cutting alfalfa/grass mix, mostly alfalfa. But it had been wet once in the field. Cows love it and I liked the price, will probably but a couple hundred more at that price.

We're hay poor up here in Colo. lot different than last year and before.

We put up 2,000 bales of good grass, in the same acreage that produced 600 last year.

A shakeout is upon us, once again. I think a fat cattle price near 1.25 or more is what would keep this business breathing. It would take 1.50 or better to induce heavy breathing. We continue to shrink the cowherd.
It is not getting any easier, is it.

Yes, I think you are correct about that..... but unfortunately the packers have gone global and the pole light is on but no is home in Congress nor are people concerned enough to contact their leaders.

High hay prices are here to stay..... someone, somewhere is gonna have a drought. Hay fields are being converted like mad to wheat or corn which brings a much higher return and it also hurts when you've got a producer who doesn't care if he goes in the hole or only makes 5 bucks on the deal.... it hurts the rest of us who rely on the cattle to make up our income with.

have seen square bales for 10 to 12 a bale for grass hay and as much as 85 for a 4x5 round, people are taking anvantage of the drought here. i dont know how you could pay that much and think you ar going to make any thing.

We are at around 140 a ton if you can find it. We don't have many round bales in this part of the country but the drought has hit us pretty hard. The dairy's in the area are gobbling up all of the hay we used to ship out to other states. Susie david isn't that far from here and we are in a similar market. Plan A is to plant corn next year and feed stocks.

Can't give you an update on prices in our area ~ there's none to be had :shock:

went to a sale in western ind. last sat. they took bids on large sq. alfalfa hay up to 240 a ton and they said that was not enough to buy it . it was coming from canada & i think you paid trucking :shock: small squares from 5.75-7.00 each.

It is cheaper right now that I have ever seen it in my life time. Excellent hay too. Tested great.

Driven":2ja1vffp said:
It is cheaper right now that I have ever seen it in my life time. Excellent hay too. Tested great.

What part of Texas are you in? I've been a little leery to buy round bale hay because I need horse quality. The cows, they're doin' fine on the pasture, but I am worried about the horses somewhat. I'm gonna need to put them up if it gets icy...meaning take them out of the big pasture and put them where there's better shelter...

Alice

Do to the severe drought around here this year nobody got a second cutting so there is a tremendous hay shortage. People rolled their cornstalks this year just to have something to feed their cattle thru the winter.

spoon":3ktyy27u said:
Do to the severe drought around here this year nobody got a second cutting so there is a tremendous hay shortage. People rolled their cornstalks this year just to have something to feed their cattle thru the winter.

Yea, and people down here are trying to sell the cornstalk rolls for 70 bucks.....I think i got lucky, we just stocked up on some good square bales for $4/bale, thats the cheepest ive seen around here...

Latest posts