Curious about hanging weight

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have raised a few angus for butcher and so far hanging weights have been 798, 858, and 805lbs. What breed have you processed and how much was hanging weight?

Your hanging weights are about right for Angus depending on sex of the animal.
We feed feed out mostly Angus, Charolais, and F1's. Nothing like the old days, but around 200 a year to to Tyson. I am much more interested in %yield.
I delivered a GN load of fats to Tyson last Tuesday. 7 hfrs, 3 strs. Avg live wt 1,415lbs. 1 prime, 9 choice. 5 yg 3's, 4 yg 4's, 1 yg 5. So their avg hanging wt was 891.45lbs.
I bought a Holstein str from a friend last spring when the packers were closed due to Covid. He weighed 1,875lbs live and 1,100 hanging. Yielded 58% he was HUGE. I'm 6'2 and couldn't look over his back.
Typically the bigger they are the less they yield.
Most beef cattle will yield 61-63%. In a perfect world they will yield 64%.
Your hanging weights won't change, but look less impressive depending on how much shrink you figure in. A gal of water weighs 8lbs whether it's in a bucket or in a str. Cattle drink 20-25 gals of water a day. That's a lot of false live weight.

Took a load of hfrs straight off a self feeder. Weighed them at the grain elevator 3 miles away. Stood over night off feed and water at the sale barn. Weighed 75lbs less per Hd when they went through the ring the next morning.
Tyson pencil shrinks them 2%

I delivered a GN load of fats to Tyson last Tuesday. 7 hfrs, 3 strs. Avg live wt 1,415lbs. 1 prime, 9 choice. 5 yg 3's, 4 yg 4's, 1 yg 5. So their avg hanging wt was 891.45lbs.
If you sell on the grid that is a lot of discount on the yield grade 4's and 5's. I have friends run about 400 cows. They have been retaining ownership for years. They keep real good records. They have one that finishes a yg 4 they go back in the records and find that cow. She gets a ride to town.

If you sell on the grid that is a lot of discount on the yield grade 4's and 5's. I have friends run about 400 cows. They have been retaining ownership for years. They keep real good records. They have one that finishes a yg 4 they go back in the records and find that cow. She gets a ride to town.
We do not sell on the grid for that very reason. If I remember correctly the last time we railed fats it was a $40/100lbs discount for YD 4s. That's way more than you get for CAB and Prime. More than half of our cattle are Char influenced.
So your friends punish their cows for having calves that are genetic over achievers?
Hfrs are easier to make 4s than strs. They just finish faster. Cold weather will make 4s quicker also.
Most of the hfrs on that load should have been gone six weeks ago. Between holidays, Covid at the plant, and a less than great bid from Tyson. We just sat on them a little to long.
The next load goes Feb 2nd. Hopefully there aren't any 4&5's.

We feed feed out mostly Angus, Charolais, and F1's. Nothing like the old days, but around 200 a year to to Tyson. I am much more interested in %yield.
I bought a Holstein str from a friend last spring when the packers were closed due to Covid. He weighed 1,875lbs live and 1,100 hanging. Yielded 58% he was HUGE. I'm 6'2 and couldn't look over his back.
Your hanging weights won't change, but look less impressive depending on how much shrink you figure in. A gal of water weighs 8lbs whether it's in a bucket or in a str. Cattle drink 20-25 gals of water a day. That's a lot of false live weight.

When you say you delivered a GN load of fats to Tyson.

What do you mean by GN and fats ? And what is yg 3s, yg 4s
When you say you delivered a GN load of fats to Tyson. What do you mean by GN and fats?

And what is yg 3s, yg4s, yg 5 ? Sorry for being ignorant, just tring to learn something.

As per the USDA:

Yield Grade 1:The carcass is covered with a thin layer of external fat over the loin and rib; there are slight deposits of fat in the flank, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions. Usually, there is a very thin layer of fat over the outside of the round and over the chuck.

Yield Grade 2:
The carcass is almost completely covered with external fat, but lean is very visible through the fat over the outside of the round, chuck, and neck. Usually, there is a slightly thin layer of fat over the inside round, loin, and rib, with a slightly thick layer of fat over the rump and sirloin.

Yield Grade 3:
The carcass is usually completely covered with external fat; lean is plainly visible through the fat only on the lower part of the outside of the round and neck. Usually, there is a slightly thick layer of fat over the rump and sirloin. Also, there are usually slightly larger deposits of fat in the flank, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions.

Yield Grade 4:
The carcass is usually completely covered with external fat, except that muscle is visible in the shank, outside of the flank and plate regions. Usually, there is a moderately thick layer of external fat over the inside of the round, loin, and rib, along with a thick layer of fat over the rump and sirloin. There are usually large deposits of fat in the flank, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions.

Yield Grade 5:
Generally, the carcass is covered with a thick layer of fat on all external surfaces. Extensive fat is found in the brisket, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions.

As per the USDA:

Yield Grade 1:The carcass is covered with a thin layer of external fat over the loin and rib; there are slight deposits of fat in the flank, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions. Usually, there is a very thin layer of fat over the outside of the round and over the chuck.

Yield Grade 2:
The carcass is almost completely covered with external fat, but lean is very visible through the fat over the outside of the round, chuck, and neck. Usually, there is a slightly thin layer of fat over the inside round, loin, and rib, with a slightly thick layer of fat over the rump and sirloin.

Yield Grade 3:
The carcass is usually completely covered with external fat; lean is plainly visible through the fat only on the lower part of the outside of the round and neck. Usually, there is a slightly thick layer of fat over the rump and sirloin. Also, there are usually slightly larger deposits of fat in the flank, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions.

Yield Grade 4:
The carcass is usually completely covered with external fat, except that muscle is visible in the shank, outside of the flank and plate regions. Usually, there is a moderately thick layer of external fat over the inside of the round, loin, and rib, along with a thick layer of fat over the rump and sirloin. There are usually large deposits of fat in the flank, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions.

Yield Grade 5:
Generally, the carcass is covered with a thick layer of fat on all external surfaces. Extensive fat is found in the brisket, cod or udder, kidney, pelvic and heart regions.
Thanks Silver for explaining that.

When you say you delivered a GN load of fats to Tyson.

What do you mean by GN and fats ? And what is yg 3s, yg 4s

When you say you delivered a GN load of fats to Tyson. What do you mean by GN and fats?

And what is yg 3s, yg4s, yg 5 ? Sorry for being ignorant, just tring to learn something.
Sorry I was short handing. GN - Gooseneck trailer.
I call them fat cattle. My Animal Science professor would crucify me. Their Finished cattle. Some people call them Fed cattle.

Silver did a great job explaining Yield Grades.
We feel that Quality grade choice / high choice, and Yield grade 3 are the goal for every yearling in the shed.
4s are fat, big brisket, big bunches by their tail head.
5s are over fat. Big swinging brisket, big bunches by their tail head, dimples in their back.
4s and especially 5s are over fed. 45+ days over fed. They cost money. You have put unnecessary feed into them and they are over fat so they will not Yield as well, so they have less value.

Ask any time, hope I could help.

Sorry I was short handing. GN - Gooseneck trailer.
I call them fat cattle. My Animal Science professor would crucify me. Their Finished cattle. Some people call them Fed cattle.

Silver did a great job explaining Yield Grades.
We feel that Quality grade choice / high choice, and Yield grade 3 are the goal for every yearling in the shed.
4s are fat, big brisket, big bunches by their tail head.
5s are over fat. Big swinging brisket, big bunches by their tail head, dimples in their back.
4s and especially 5s are over fed. 45+ days over fed. They cost money. You have put unnecessary feed into them and they are over fat so they will not Yield as well, so they have less value.

Ask any time, hope I could help.
Thank you very much for explaining that to me. There is alot to learn about the cattle business.

I think alot of people don't realize just how much is involved in order to be successful at making a living when it comes to the cattle business or farming in general.

Latest posts