Culture shock

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
As most Tennesseans know there is a huge music festival held each year in my small town called Bonnaroo. It brings over 100,000 people to a 700 acre farm on the city limits. Of course every hotel within an hours drive is booked a year in advance. My company HQ in Germany felt that it was a great time to send two techs over to rebuild some equipment. To their "surprise" there are no hotels. I am putting them up for 4 days at the Hoss Hacienda. They walked into culture shock....especially with the amount of firepower that I have at my disposal. They have never held a real gun much less seen 50 or more at one man's house :mrgreen: On top of all of that we are making them dinner of pork chops on the grill, cornbread, poke sallat, taters, corn and hot peppers. Should be fun :lol2:

Sounds like fun! When I get visitors, I tell them the bonfire will be on the left once they come up the (near-vertical, half-mile long) driveway, and the shooting range will be on the right. They can park in between and take their pick.

"What's poke sallat?", asks the northerner?

Polk sallat......Poke Weed. If anybody in Virginia. anywhere near me, wants any poke, I have huge amounts of it! When the berries show up and get ripe my chickens will eat the heck out of them.

Those Germans are going to have a much more memorable trip, staying with you, than if they had stayed at a hotel!

Enjoy their company (no pun intended).

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2iq8jkgb said:
When the berries show up and get ripe my chickens will eat the heck out of them.
So does every other flying bird. Truck turns purple for a couple of weeks each year

Workinonit Farm":3lg13dv1 said:
Polk sallat......Poke Weed. If anybody in Virginia. anywhere near me, wants any poke, I have huge amounts of it! When the berries show up and get ripe my chickens will eat the heck out of them.

Those Germans are going to have a much more memorable trip, staying with you, than if they had stayed at a hotel!

Enjoy their company (no pun intended).

Katherine

:D :banana:

dun":3uzss1xx said:
Workinonit Farm":3uzss1xx said:
When the berries show up and get ripe my chickens will eat the heck out of them.
So does every other flying bird. Truck turns purple for a couple of weeks each year

Deer will them if they are a lot of berries the deer pellets will be purple.

Agh them Germans will be fine! Y'all don't drink too much beer and get em to help you make a " swing" so you can cook some " schwangbratten" tomorrow night!

Have fun! Our German host son had a blast! Take them out for some target practice, they will never forget this trip!

I laughed so hard thinking about cultural shock as we just finished watching the episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil suffers a head injury and the hotel is booked with Germans . :lol2: :lol: :help:

Sounds like they will be treated like VIP's all the way at Hoss Hacienda . I am sure they will recripcate in turn and I have found they are always very gracious and generous hosts when we visit Germany .

Have a great time showing them around ! :tiphat:

When they go back home, everyone else will be jealous of them. I'm sure they are having a much better experience at Hoss Hacienda than any hotel.

Pokeweed can't grow around here anymore because deer eat it down into the dirt when it's growing out in the open. The only place it can survive is on top of a windrow of logging debris that deer can't access. The doves come in masses to feed when it goes to seed.

Definitely in for some target practice tomorrow or Friday depending on the rain forecast. One is very afraid of guns and wouldn't hold one. The other is very intrigued with trying.

I have poke weed everywhere. I done some dozer work and it has come up in big patches around the brush piles.

I just recently had a fellow from Columbia arrive to pick up an aircraft he bought. When I took him to dinner, he noticed my lever action tucked between the center console and his seat. He ask why I had that in my truck. I didn't answer yet. I reached down between my side of the console and seat and pulled out the model 29. His eyes got real bid. He ask me if the crime was that bad, that I had to carry. I replied "No, and this is the reason crime is not bad". We laughed and had a good meal.

Nonetheless, some parts can be used as food, medicine, or poison if properly prepared.

So what you are saying is you all know how to properly prepare it?
Around here I just try to spray the stuff before it gets taller than I am.

regolith":277njizi said:
Nonetheless, some parts can be used as food, medicine, or poison if properly prepared.

So what you are saying is you all know how to properly prepare it?
Around here I just try to spray the stuff before it gets taller than I am.

regolith,

The way I was taught by my mother, grandmother etc. is to double boil the greens. Take the leaves (young poke weed is best) and bring to a boil in water. Drain off the water and put in more fresh water and boil again. At this point the way I like to eat it is transfer it to a frying pan after I have fried some bacon. Fry the greens a bit in the bacon oil and add two eggs. Scramble those up in the greens. Salt and pepper to taste. Excellent eating especially with cornbread, fresh mater slices, corn on the cob and a venison steak :cowboy:

Latest posts