Culling

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
I am going to start some culling of cows that are not performing well.

I live on deep south, have beefmaster mommas with a Gelbvieh Bull. I am thinking about changing to different mommas, would prefer brahma influence, any suggestions? Besides Black Angus (I don't have ponds for them to swim in the summer).

Im not from the south and dont know a lot about southern cattle but i think id want f1 hereford brahma

I don't think you can go wrong with Brangus. With that being said, are you unhappy with your Beefmaster cows, or just wanting to try something new?

Rafter S":3kje977r said:
I don't think you can go wrong with Brangus. With that being said, are you unhappy with your Beefmaster cows, or just wanting to try something new?

Honestly, Love the cattle, but maybe my cows, but they are not performing as consistently as i think they should. Been dealing with BM for 10 years, ready for a change, thought about herfs bred to my Homo Black and Polled Gelbvieh. Not sure what kind of baldy you call it.

thommoos":3un8w3g5 said:
I am going to start some culling of cows that are not performing well.

I live on deep south, have beefmaster mommas with a Gelbvieh Bull. I am thinking about changing to different mommas, would prefer brahma influence, any suggestions? Besides Black Angus (I don't have ponds for them to swim in the summer).
You have one of the best brangus operations in the country right there in your home state. See if they have some commercial cattle they'd part with. Hard to beat a good brangus mama.

The more that I have read these CattleToday posts in the last several months, the more that I am convinced that the majority of the members of the Breeds Board have not a clue of - WHY they are doing - WHAT they are doing!

Think about these few questions: In thinking about WHY you are considering "- - - changing breeds - experimenting with a different breed - playing with breeds and or genetics or maybe what neighbor Jim Bob down the road thinks - are you giving any consideration as to WHAT the ultimate results will be in six years in regards to the breeding herd you will have at that time?? Are you changing breeds for a reason, or just change for changes sake? Have you even thought about the genetic changes a NEW bull will infuse into your future?? Do you understand ( and I mean REALLY understand ) EPD's, and their full implications in a balanced breeding herd? Do you understand how to figure "Across Breed" EPD's in mating selections, and to avoid "Single Trait Selection" decisions when planning several years ahead? Or - are you just dreaming about "The Bull of The Month" and hoping that he will 'work' in your plans?

If a breeder can answer even some of those above questions in a positive manner, he may have a slight clue about not losing his entire financial capital on a whim or a thoughtless mistake. If he CANNOT answer ALL of those questions with a positive "YES!" - then I suggest that he return to square "ONE" and begin over with a considerably renewed knowledge about WHAT he is doing!!

The Internet has the answers to any amount of questions that you may wish to explore. Just look them up!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1lspo4uc said:
Think about these few questions: In thinking about WHY you are considering "- - - changing breeds - experimenting with a different breed - playing with breeds and or genetics or maybe what neighbor Jim Bob down the road thinks - are you giving any consideration as to WHAT the ultimate results will be in six years in regards to the breeding herd you will have at that time?? Are you changing breeds for a reason, or just change for changes sake? Have you even thought about the genetic changes a NEW bull will infuse into your future?? Do you understand ( and I mean REALLY understand ) EPD's, and their full implications in a balanced breeding herd? Do you understand how to figure "Across Breed" EPD's in mating selections, and to avoid "Single Trait Selection" deci

Like I said Thinking:
What I was wanting in 6 years is a program that produces great meaty animals, great dispostion, easy keepers, that breed ontime. i want to see solid red and black animal that are deep, wide and thick.

I did research what a new Bull would bring, I chose a Gelbvieh, very good epd's. he is meatier that a Beefmaster (from around here). Frame size is not that big actually about a 5.
I by no means went for single trait, polled or black, wean or birth weight.

ALACOWMAN":1lspo4uc said:
ANAZAZI":1lspo4uc said:
Stay with beefmasters.
same here,,, sometimes the cow can only perform with what see has to work with....change bulls

Ala I did change Bulls from a Beefmaster to a Gelbvieh from up in your neck of the woods. yes he is Polled, and Black, But I saw my wean weights go up from the Beefmaster BULL I had.

wbvs58":1lspo4uc said:
You say you want Brahman influence yet you are talking about herefords/gelbvieh and getting out of Beefmasters, very confusing.
Ken
Thought about making Baldies.

Unless you go with F1 Tigers or F1 Brangus not going to get more Brahma than what is in Beefmaster. I have Beefmaster mommas and I like them. Having said that there are some bloodlines I am not wild about. I prefer the Lasater, and L-Bar genetics they seem like meatier animals. I look for animals going back to L-Bar 5502 they seem to raise good calves. I wouldn't switch my mommas but I would go to a heavier Beefmaster bull or Char and Beefmaster is a really good cross. I used a Hereford bull on Beefmaster cows and got real good results. If you want a good Beefmaster bull I would go to the Texoma sale in McAlester Ok on March 19th. If you call Derek you can probably get the bull shipped to you so don't have to haul it.

wacocowboy":2pgpto34 said:
Unless you go with F1 Tigers or F1 Brangus not going to get more Brahma than what is in Beefmaster. I have Beefmaster mommas and I like them. Having said that there are some bloodlines I am not wild about. I prefer the Lasater, and L-Bar genetics they seem like meatier animals. I look for animals going back to L-Bar 5502 they seem to raise good calves. I wouldn't switch my mommas but I would go to a heavier Beefmaster bull or Char and Beefmaster is a really good cross. I used a Hereford bull on Beefmaster cows and got real good results. If you want a good Beefmaster bull I would go to the Texoma sale in McAlester Ok on March 19th. If you call Derek you can probably get the bull shipped to you so don't have to haul it.

Finding L-bar genetics down here is about impossible. its all about who can push the latest and greatest. kinda why I left BBU, Good breeders like Buster just are not that common around here.

Thommoos, your situation sounds similar to mine. Have you considered AI? You could pick different bulls to use. I bought semen from two different LBAR 5502's sons and used on a couple different cows. Hope to see improvement this year. I too have culled this year and bought some replacement heifers. I replaced my beefmaster culls with beefmasters. The breeders I know chase names and think I am crazy using LBAR genetics. I had to get away from those people. From my research, though, I believe LBAR is more my kind of cattle. The reason I went with 5502 line is his performance and his son's performance.

I'd find a good beefy red gelbvieh bull, some matings just don't click..but In your case id rather have a average beefmaster cow than a good angus....

Latest posts