Cull or Not

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
I have 3 cows born in 2009 that failed to be bred last winter. All my calves are born mostly in October and November.
Question is do you give them another chance?

dt34715":17p25hmy said:
I have 3 cows born in 2009 that failed to be bred last winter. All my calves are born mostly in October and November.
Question is do you give them another chance?

are they still open??

It seems odd that three cows the same age quit calving at the same time. I assume you have other cows with these 3, and they all got bred okay?

dt34715":phi6ap9b said:
yes, I want turn my bull out till around Christmas

. if you want oct nov calves and you don't put the bull in till end of DEC your basically only giving the cows 1 cycle to breed, When do you pull the bull ?

The prevailing opinion is going to be NO.. but there are some questions.. this is 3 cows out of how many? If it's 3 out of 3 then you should think about the bull's abilities.

If you really want to give them another chance, think of what the current market is (darned good), compared to how it could be in a year.. What are your feed costs? if they're extremely low it could be worth a gamble, but if you're buying feed, or are at capacity, it's best to get rid of them now and get better animals.

most all open cows here are culled, if they calved last oct-nov I would have sold them in june or july when prices are always higher

M5farm":39mhlara said:
dt34715":39mhlara said:

. if you want oct nov calves and you don't put the bull in till end of DEC your basically only giving the cows 1 cycle to breed, When do you pull the bull ?
mid to end of March

Nesikep":2k1ro40n said:
The prevailing opinion is going to be NO.. but there are some questions.. this is 3 cows out of how many? If it's 3 out of 3 then you should think about the bull's abilities.

If you really want to give them another chance, think of what the current market is (darned good), compared to how it could be in a year.. What are your feed costs? if they're extremely low it could be worth a gamble, but if you're buying feed, or are at capacity, it's best to get rid of them now and get better animals.

3 out of 19. Had the bull tested by the vet and all is good with him.

dt34715":178r6j3h said:
M5farm":178r6j3h said:
dt34715":178r6j3h said:

mid to end of March

If I decided not too sell I would put them with the bull NOW and when I got ready to put the bull with the other 16, I would pull blood and see if they are bred if not sell them and move on.

dt34715":1dmpa3je said:
Nesikep":1dmpa3je said:

3 out of 19. Had the bull tested by the vet and all is good with him.

In that case I'd sell them.

If it was me, I'd sell all three, pick up a 3-in-1, wean that calf and sell it, and then pocket the money. :banana: It's my understanding that a 1 y/o heifer may or may not breed, but I know a 2 y/o should. And, other guys, correct me if I'm wrong, with 19 cows and a mature bull that shouldn't be a problem to get them bred. It costs as much to feed a cull as it does a good cow....

But don't forget it's going to require twice as much money to replace them if you reinvest in 3 good bred cows.

I would put wheels under them. This time of year with winter coming on, I don't feed open cows. Also this time of year with winter coming on I can buy decent bred cows for not that much more than kill cow price. There will be regional difference in the cost of those bred cows. But if you push a pencil on the cost of feeding those opens clear until they produce a calf of sale size I would bet that selling and buying breds will come out better.

Latest posts