csm vs. sbm hot mix

Help Support CattleToday:

runningr

Reaction score
What prices are you guys getting quoted? Csm here is 480/ton bagged.
Also what limiter other than salt are you using?

runningr":2wp1nr41 said:
What prices are you guys getting quoted? Csm here is 480/ton bagged.
Also what limiter other than salt are you using?

You don't say where you're located so don't really know what is more available and economical. In this area most cattle feeds are formulated using cottonseed meal as the primary protein source with soybean meal being reserved for horse and swine feeds. Unless you hand feed the stuff the use of salt is about the only limiter available. You can mix it with corn and other ingredients to dilute the protein down to a more suitable level but would still need to limit consumption by only putting out what you want them to eat. Bulk CSM down this way is a little over $400 a ton bulk and soybean meal a little over $500 a ton so CSM is always the most economical.

Im located in north alabama. Ive always used salt, its been awhile but i believe that bentonite is a limiter in some minerals, thought there might be others. salt for a limiter is getting pricey at $256/ton.

runningr":1q418x9i said:
Im located in north alabama. Ive always used salt, its been awhile but i believe that bentonite is a limiter in some minerals, thought there might be others. salt for a limiter is getting pricey at $256/ton.

Bentonite won't really limit them. there are some limiters used in "complete" feeds but are usually composed of about 30 ingredients so not usually available.

Latest posts