Cruise Ship Confusion

Help Support CattleToday:

My father in law was on the princess cruise quarantined off the coast of Japan.

He travelled to japan the first few days of January, before we had heard of the coronavirus. He boarded a princess cruise with his wife. A few weeks later a passenger disembarked their ship in Hong Kong to go to the hospital and they discovered he had the coronavirus. At that point they had 40 confirmed and 200 with a fever. Last week it was at 560. More cases than anywhere outside of China

Princess cruises paid for the quarantine. All passengers on the ship received full credit. But also remember that most passengers now DO NOT have medical insurance. We planned for my 67 year old father in law to have medical insurance for 1.5 extra weeks as a just in case risk well travelling. Well it lapsed. The insurance company refused to renew. Not sure what would happen here if he did test positive.

He has tested negative along with his wife so he was picked up by a Canadian plane on Friday last I heard. He was to be taken to a hospital in Ontario for testing again (we are from B.C.). When he passes he will be moved to a military base for another 2 weeks for an additional quarantine. Once he returns home he will quarantine again in his home for 2 more weeks.

It's all really crazy. We've had to get a lawyer. And to kens comment i get that it's all a risk of travelling but there were some major issues that arose. The crew members were put at major risk. Not given any protective wear. Many elderly people have had go to weeks without medications they require. My father in law was sent on a cargo plane with no heating with no jacket at 67 years old.

And it shows how unstable cruises are for viruses like this. I took my son on 2 cruises under 2. He got a full blown flu on both.

Glad your Dad made it back. His experience make the SS Minnow look really good.

Global travel has been rapidly increasing. I think this will set it back for a while. I plan to do my cruising in a 16 foot boat. May have free drinks too. ;-)

Stocker Steve said:
Glad your Dad made it back. His experience make the SS Minnow look really good.

Global travel has been rapidly increasing. I think this will set it back for a while. I plan to do my cruising in a 16 foot boat. May have free drinks too. ;-)

I live in Vancouver. Aka Hongcouver. We have an enormous Chinese population. I cannot even imagine how many people that have been to China recently have landed in Vancouver. I'm also in the airport right now on my way back to the Vancouver airport...hoping to avoid as many people as possible

cowgal I live in Vancouver. Aka Hongcouver. [/quote said:
Been there. Could not do the Condo and little dog thing. :cboy: Had a memorable dinner at a gas station that was sort of converted into a Greek restaurant. Treated us like dirt till I ordered Ouzo - - then we were family.

Stocker Steve said:
cowgal I live in Vancouver. Aka Hongcouver. [/quote said:
Been there. Could not do the Condo and little dog thing. Had a memorable dinner at a gas station that was sort of converted into a Greek restaurant. Treated us like dirt till I ordered Ouzo - - then we were family.

I've done the condo and little dog thing. Condo I sold, little dog is 16 now. Now we are out in the valley.

I'm on plane right now from AZ to Vancouver. I think I seated next to the only Chinese person on this plane.

Stocker Steve said:
Hummm. What kind of gloves and masks are you using?

I'm wearing a hooded sweat shirt, hood up, toque underneath, wool coat over top covering my hands :lol2:

This look tho is to protect against the extreme hangover I'm leaving the state of AZ in...I didn't know Scottsdale was such a good time...

cowgal604 said:
Stocker Steve said:
Hummm. What kind of gloves and masks are you using?
I'm wearing a hooded sweat shirt, hood up, toque underneath, wool coat over top covering my hands :lol2:
This look is to protect against the extreme hangover I'm leaving the state of AZ in...

Order lots of mixed drinks and keep the buzz going. I am pretty sure hard alcohol beats corona. :banana:

My boss has been onto me for a while about going on the Diamond, well, I guess I can safely talk a lengthy delay into that plan :)

What happened on that ship in Japan is a disaster, it does not say much for either the ship or Japan, I would have thought they would have done a much better job of containing the spread. Our citizens that wanted to leave have been removed too, they will now get proper quarantine and treatment I am confident. Staying seems too me, to be an almost certainty to end up positive.

Re cruises, well, yes, you can and may catch anything there, not unlike being in an Al tube sharing the air etc with others who are sharing whatever they have. Just watch what some people do at the buffet on ships. Saying that, I had no drama, but am fairly conscious of the issues.

Anyone for a cheap cruise around Asia ? I been getting emails with some great prices ! Even ones down here, which would actually be ok.

Stocker Steve said:
Order lots of mixed drinks and keep the buzz going. I am pretty sure hard alcohol beats corona. :banana:

6 Coronas for relief of Corona virus symptoms. Taken daily, at night is better, will help you sleep unless your an alco already.= :)

Cruise Lines are getting desperate. Just saw an ad for cruising the Mississippi River. Soon Aaron may be offering cruises on Lake of the Woods. :nod:

I went on a Miss R. Cruise years ago. New Orleans to Memphis. 7 days. I can't really recommend it.
Pretty boring but my wife wanted to go...................

On of these companies..don't remember which one.
https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/articles-america-river-cruises/cruises-on-the-mississippi-river/

Latest posts