Understanding odds confusion

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I see gambling odds posted for various activitys. The 9/4, 1/4, , 4/6 odds that I'm confused about. Anyone have a simple explanation of the meaning?

Thanks

Your 9/4 example would return $13 on a $9 bet, or in other words a .44 cent return for each dollar bet. It's been years since I fooled with it, I may have forgot something.

Bigfoot":3ur2fa5q said:
Your 9/4 example would return $13 on a $9 bet, or in other words a .44 cent return for each dollar bet. It's been years since I fooled with it, I may have forgot something.
These are the odds of a person accomplishing something. like win the WDC

The 9/4 would be paid out as such. 4 divided by 9=.4444444

So an $8 bet at 9/4 odds would be 8 x .4444= $3.56 plus your $8 back=$11.56

I can understand having a 1 chance in 4 of winning but how can you have 9 chances out of 4 of winning

I might have made the mistake of jumping in too soon. I thought you were talking about payout. What type of gambling do you see these numbers posted on?

Bigfoot":2ad6dx1e said:
I might have made the mistake of jumping in too soon. I thought you were talking about payout. What type of gambling do you see these numbers posted on?
It's the odds of various drivers in Formula 1 winning the World Drivers Championship

I think I'm in over my head. Here goes. The 1/4 is an odds on favorite. The 9/4 would be an odds against. If you were to bet $1 on a 1/4 odd, you would receive $1.25. An even money bet would be 1/1 odds. I think 3 way has some horse racing experience. He will be able to explain it better.

Latest posts