Crude Oil

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
Well, it's official. Light Crude Oil opened this morning at $100.01 a barrel. Rumors are going around that it will go as high as $135.00 a barrel by August. :shock: I might have to trade in my V8 motor for a Ford Focus... :???:

Correct. This year I am heavily into crude oil. I am somewhere around 12% long as of today. I plan on riding it out in August.

alot of people will quit driving unless they have to.i know we dont drive as much as we used to.its getting hard for people to make a living with high gas prices.gas was $3.01 a gal for reg yesterday in town.takes $36 to fill up a compact suv.

We've cut back on our trips to town, too. We did have to fill up the car today, at $3.09 per gallon. Ouch. It's been $2.99, but we never had to buy at over $3 before.

Diesel is about $3.50 here today.
The truck drivers / railroad / & barge operators we deal with have all put fuel escalators or fuel surcharges in their contracts- so every time fuel goes up we pay for it twice!

I'm going to fill up in a few minutes. Scarey to think about it. I know regular unleaded is $3.12 but they don't have a sign out for diesel. The wife and I are going more places together, cutting back on the driving and trying to hold down the fuel bill.

gerardplauche":juyc1jwz said:
Correct. This year I am heavily into crude oil. I am somewhere around 12% long as of today. I plan on riding it out in August.

The New York Mercantile Exchange, the major U.S. market for metals and energy commodities, on Thursday raised margins for six key energy and metals futures, including copper, coal, gasoline and heating oil. The Tokyo Commodity Exchange took a similar action on platinum futures, which hit a record in New York Thursday.
Margins refer to the money traders are required to set aside to establish a futures position, a minimum cash requirement similar to a down payment. They often get jacked up when prices jump or swing wildly.
"Nymex constantly evaluates futures contracts and their margins...to allow our users to manage their risks properly," said Brenda Guzman, a spokeswoman for the futures market. "It's something that we continuously update, and most likely have to do" if the market gets volatile.
Prices of commodities futures have ricocheted in the past two months. On Wednesday, crude oil closed at a new high of $100.74 a barrel, surpassing levels hit at the start of the year and capping a run from this year's low of $88.11 on Feb 7. Other commodities have also made steep runs in both directions since the start of the year.
Nymex didn't change margins for crude oil futures. The current crude-oil margin is about $6 a barrel for non-member customers. For a commodity that can drop more than $3 in one day, the margin seems relatively low, analysts said.
Nymex is "definitely evaluating" crude futures and could change margins in the futures, Guzman said.
Raising margins could force traders to liquidate their positions to meet higher requirements, thus increasing selling pressures in commodities, said James Williams, an economist at WTRG Economics, an energy research firm.
Major energy and metals commodities moved lower across the board on Thursday.

Boone Pickens, Feb 21 on CNBC, said he was short oil for the near future. Expects a 10 - 15 dollar decline into the 2nd quarter. He said if the US avoids recession that oil should recover to $100+ later in the year.

NOTE: He called the oil move to $80 and then the move to $100 correctly. We will have to see if he is correct this time also.

Oil is a finite resource - we better get used to paying $ 3.50 and start preparing to pay $5.00.

You can call it "adjusted for inflation" or whatever you choose but gas/diesel/oil takes up a much smaller part of my income today at $3.10 than it did back in the 60's at $.299 and I drive much more. Course food, electricity, housing etc. all are a smaller % of disposable income than in the 60's.

But like Sugarman said "better get use to paying even more". Things go up and come back down but never seldom down as low as they "use to be".

Here in ND the oil rigs are busier than ever!! There are over 1500 job openings in the oil field right now. I just heard on the news that the Three Affliated Tribes has gotten the ok from the EPA to take the next step in building a refinery here. On March 17th they will open up a 30 day comment period and go from there . According to the article they have already passed all of the EPA's requirments and they have the funding . This is great news for ND and the rest of the country for that matter. It wont bring down the price of gas but will keep some of the money here and not over seas. This last fall many areas in ND ran out of diesel fuel during harvest . Fuel right now is $ 3.50 here.

Latest posts