Crotalaria (Rattlebox) Eradication

Help Support CattleToday:

ETF

Reaction score
I've got about 40 acres of old pasture land in north Florida. It was cattle pasture at one time but has been in a hunting lease for the last 8 to 10 years with no pasture maintenance done. Now there is a bumper crop of crotalaria and volunteer pines. What's the best way to get rid of this stuff so I can bring in some cattle? I'm afraid if I just mow and/or spray that the dried seeds could still poison the cows. Many thanks.

well since no one else replied i guess i will. i dont have a lot of crotalaria to deal with so this wont be much help but its pretty easy to dig up and roundup has worked for me to spot spray with.

Beefy":2x92lngb said:
well since no one else replied i guess i will. i dont have a lot of crotalaria to deal with so this wont be much help but its pretty easy to dig up and roundup has worked for me to spot spray with.

Before you plant a warm-season grass (if that is what you decide to do) you can use a break-crop (turnips, sudangrass, etc...). This way you can get two shots of round-up on it. one before you plant the break crop and one after your animals graze it (6 months or so later depending on the crop). The best part is you don't have very much "down time" as turnips, etc.. establish quick and provide high quality forage very fast.

Like my dad would say, "do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again". Ha... who i'm i kidding. he still says that ;-)

The university of Florida has a lot of info online about just about every weed in Florida. They claim that nine pounds of dry crotalaria will kill a 300lb steer in 4 days. Remedy and Pasturegard will kill it, but the seeds that are there now will come up for years. I have a four acre field that has not seeded up in 25 years and we are still fighting it. Good luck!
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/WG006

Comair:

That's what I was afraid of. The entire pasture is covered with the stuff, so I'm guessing an annual spray routine will be required forever. :mad:

Latest posts