Bahia Eradication?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
What is the best way to get rid of bahia in a coastal field? We have used Alli (not sure of the spelling) before with mixed results. Plus it is relatively expensive. Thanks for any suggestions.

Keep your coastal healthy and pray. And by the way Bahia is underated.

I used Grazon P&D on some huisache last year and it killed the bahia aroud it. You might do a test plot.

The only thing that will kill bahia is Cimmeron. It used to be sold under the name Ally. It can now be bought under the name Cimmeron and Cimmeron Max.

Yes, it is expensive. Mentally divide your pastures up into managable portions and treat one portion at a time. For example, we knew we could afford to manage 35% of the pastures at a time with Cimmeron, so we are only treating 1/3. Next year, we will do the next 1/3.

Good luck.
PS - Call Producers Co-op and ask for Carl in the fertilizer plant. Ask Carl to come out and look at your pastures to give you recommendations on effective and efficient ways to improve the conditions. He saved me thousands of dollars in potential pasture rehab. If you are a member of the Co-op, this is a free service. (And Jon G doesn't know range grasses.)

Thanks for the replies. Dusty, I am a member of the Co-op so I will give that a try.

Novatech, bahia in my opinion is not good for much in this area. It takes over a coastal field choking it out and the cattle won't graze it once it has seeded out. Plus it is really tough on a hay cutter. You can always tell when you hit a spot of it because the tractor boggs down so badly.

Is the Bahia you are trying to readicate Pensacola or Argentine? The Cimmaron will kill the Pensacola but will not kill the Argentine. I have the problem in my Coastal field. THe Cimmaron has done a good job with the Pensacola but I have a large amount of Argentine. The extension service says about all that I can do is try to slowly spot spray the Argentine with Roundup to try to keep it from getting worse.

We fertilize based upon soil samples and lime when needed. The soil condition is very good for our area but the neighbors tend to let theirs go and so they have a lot of bahia making our place prone to it as well. I'm not sure which type we have. It will grow from seed as well as root and that makes it twice as hard to get rid of. The cattle eat the seeds and then deposit them all over the place causing spots of it all over and it chokes coastal out so fertilizing the coastal doesn't really work either.

Latest posts