Cactus eradication

Help Support CattleToday:

ElginRinger

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience spraying cactus with the 1% Tordon + 3% Gramaxomone (sp) mixture ? All the information I've seen claims a kill within 12 months which is much faster than the 2-3 yrs I've seen for the other mixtures using Tordon.

The mix I use on prickly pear is 2oz Tordon +2oz MSMA +2oz surfactant per gallon of water. It really works fast, no green color left after about 2 weeks.

If you don't have too many prickly pears(meaning spot sprying is feasible) you can kill them by squirting Tordon RTU directly out of the bottle onto and around them. Quick results.

ga. prime":s9yq7b8v said:
If you don't have too many prickly pears(meaning spot sprying is feasible) you can kill them by squirting Tordon RTU directly out of the bottle onto and around them. Quick results.

Do you need a lic. to buy Tordon ?

Will it work on yucca? I haven't been able to get rid of the stuff. Dug down 3 feet and replaced all of the dirt with that from another spot. Took 2 years but the accursed things are back again in the same spot.

dun

You could just burn the thorns off of some of the and let you cattle eat them.It will make a good inexpensive filler for them and save you some hay.

Yes you hve to have a licence to buy Tordon. I used it last winter following the directions that came with it. Make sure you use a surfacant. The man at the ag center said it would take about year and probably need to hit it again. He was right but I am pleased with the results. Most of the small patchs are dead or dying. The large patchs are about 80% dead but growth has ended. I used a 4 wheeler mounted sprayer and used blue dye to help knowing what you have sprayed. I probably sprayed 100 patchs spread over 75 acres in one long day.
Good luck

I Last summer when treating for mesquite, I experimented with Remedy and diesel on pears. It works great but may not be cost effective.

For small infestations, mechanical removal (as mentioned above and in Brush Busters) is the most efficient...just don't let those pears touch the ground after you harvest them.

You do not need a liscence to buy Tordon RTU. RTU means ready to use. It is diluted and already dyed blue and will kill anything you put it on. I use it on cut tree stumps of all species and prickly pears. Never seen anything survive it. A quart bottle costs $14.00.

Texas PaPaw":3mkizh5v said:
The mix I use on prickly pear is 2oz Tordon +2oz MSMA +2oz surfactant per gallon of water. It really works fast, no green color left after about 2 weeks.

I've never heard of the MSMA in the solution. Did you read that somewhere or just decide to try it. Makes sense though.

Dow has a product that is named surmound. It mixed with water and a sufactor at the rate of 2 oz. of Surmand and surfactor to a gallon of water. I have been using it for 2 years and i don;t have hardly any catus. I have also mixed 2 oz. of Remdy to this and sprayed mesq. This kills in about 2 weeks. h;ope ;this helps.

ElginRinger":3vvytex6 said:
Texas PaPaw":3vvytex6 said:

I've never heard of the MSMA in the solution. Did you read that somewhere or just decide to try it. Makes sense though.

Our local chemical dealer recommended the MSMA with Tordon and it knocked the thunder out of the pear.

The cochineal beetle eradicated the prickly pear on my farm in Zimbabwe after their introduction to neighbouring South Africa.
The prickly pear was an invader, having been introduced in the early 1900's as a potential export crop, from Mexico.

Latest posts