Crossing Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill":1vdmpa4m said:
warpaint":1vdmpa4m said:
Regardless of what some will tell you, longhorns handle cold weather pretty well. There are several longhorn breeders in Canada.

Edit; There are also several breeders in Iowa. For a listing, go to the TLBAA website.

Warpaint, if I'm not mistaken, the listed Breeders on TLBAA website have to pay to have a listing. The ITLA website has a FREE listing of all members with phone #'s, addresses, websites, etc. for any person to access on the internet.

We do, however, run display advs in both ITLA Drover and TLBAA Trails each issue.

We didn't pay for a listing on the TLBAA site, that's why we're listed on the ITLA (free listing) site... ;-)

I don't know much about the ITLA. I've been considering changing over, in light of recent events, but the thing that concerns me is, the ITLA doesn't have a very strong youth program, or so I've heard.

warpaint":1gr96579 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1gr96579 said:
warpaint":1gr96579 said:
Regardless of what some will tell you, longhorns handle cold weather pretty well. There are several longhorn breeders in Canada.

Edit; There are also several breeders in Iowa. For a listing, go to the TLBAA website.

Warpaint, if I'm not mistaken, the listed Breeders on TLBAA website have to pay to have a listing. The ITLA website has a FREE listing of all members with phone #'s, addresses, websites, etc. for any person to access on the internet.

We do, however, run display advs in both ITLA Drover and TLBAA Trails each issue.

We didn't pay for a listing on the TLBAA site, that's why we're listed on the ITLA (free listing) site... ;-)

I don't know much about the ITLA. I've been considering changing over, in light of recent events, but the thing that concerns me is, the ITLA doesn't have a very strong youth program, or so I've heard.

If you're into the youth program, go with or stay with TLBAA. It's John & Diane Chase's (aka Autobahn Motors in FTW) baby.
IMO until TLBAA gets its house cleaned and back on track (y'all know the issues)...

There had to be some historical issues why a number of TLBAA members split off and formed ITLA...

I hate to spread rumor, but I have it from a fairly reliable source, that the Chase's have pulled their support from the TLBAA youth program.

I haven't seen this on paper, so as I said, it's rumor.

We are pretty involved with the youth programs in the TLBAA, due to our youngest son. As long as he is interested in showing cattle, and continuing to grow into a cattleman, we'll support him.

andybob":1joy9h2p said:
Why not":1joy9h2p said:
Name another way you can do that with any other breed besides eared cattle. :p
The Tuli will do it for you as well, "Why not."
What ever happened to the Salorn composite? it just never seemed to have attracted any interest, or was there some negative aspect to the breed that prevented it from attracting the attention of the commercial cattle breeder?

Salorn spun off into it's own breed; while Longhorn breeders divided into 3?? different registries.

http://www.salorn.com

Brandon, you asked where someone could buy replacement Longhorn females. There are sales all over the country where good Longhorn cows and heifers can be bought very economically. There are also many breeders who sale their heifers for commercial replacement females. The B&C sale in Missouri runs every spring and fall and has been running for 30 years. These females can bought at a reasonable price and go right into commercial herds, many cattlemen come to these sale just for that reason. They buy them and take them out to pasture to put with the beef breed bull of their choice. Whenever I can come up with a little more land, I'm going to get some of these commercial Longhorn females to put a Charolais bull on.

As far as the TLBAA and the turmoil that they are going through right now, much of this is because of a few spoiled people who have big pocket books and cry and whine when things don't go their way. Many of these people have already burned their bridges in this association and also in the ITLA which was a break off of the original TLBAA. It will be interesting to see what these whiners call the new one that they will have to form-I'm thinking something like the Millionaire's Texas Longhorn Registry or Association. There's sure to be something that they will come up with so that they can all swap checks and toast one another. That is until one of them pi$$es another one off and then it's off to something else. This is a good breed of cattle with some undesirable individuals for owners who have a little too much money and time on their hands. There are plenty of honest, trustworthy cattlemen and women in both associations.

I am not familiar with Longhorn politics. Cattletoday has THREE Longhorn registries listed on their list of associations. Is that correct???

TLBAA is the original registry, ITLA was formed as a break off from the TLBAA when some members got po'd and formed their own association. I'm not knocking ITLA, I'm not a member but I know several people who dual register. I see no need for that myself, it's too costly if you have a large herd. Cattleman's Texas Longhorn Registry is another association that I know basically nothing about, someone else who is more familiar will have to chime in. I do know that they enforce DNA blood typing for purity to be registered in their association. That's probably not a bad thing, just costly. I don't know how successful their association has been. It looks to me like there may be another one forming because of the inner turmoil in the TLBAA, which is rediculous. Some of these people who are so disenchanted have already been in both associations. Some will probably stay in one or the other but some will probably try to start a new one so that they can have things their own way.

warpaint":g8skhwfu said:
I hate to spread rumor, but I have it from a fairly reliable source, that the Chase's have pulled their support from the TLBAA youth program.

I haven't seen this on paper, so as I said, it's rumor.

We are pretty involved with the youth programs in the TLBAA, due to our youngest son. As long as he is interested in showing cattle, and continuing to grow into a cattleman, we'll support him.

For an official stance on the Autobahn Youth Scholarship Tour go to the below link. You will probably want to mark it as favorite, as it will be the best source for information regarding the Youth Tour from now on.

http://www.AutobahnYouthTour.com

Also, I am not sure if this is know by the masses or not, but any Texas Longhorn can be shown in an Autobahn Show, as long as it is registered... no matter TLBAA or ITLA

Brandonm2":2a2uhbc3 said:
I am not familiar with Longhorn politics. Cattletoday has THREE Longhorn registries listed on their list of associations. Is that correct???

Are you going to buy LH's? You are discussing marketing truck loads above and now you are concerned with registries?

No I am not buying Texas Longhorns. The truckload response was in response to the original question where the poster was considering changing his herd to Longhorn Crosses. Everybody in his wife's family is raising a different set of cows. Some familys can't cooperate on anything; BUT to me they COULD make more money by using similar genetics and marketing them together.

Brandonm2":ovjejz81 said:
No I am not buying Texas Longhorns. The truckload response was in response to the original question where the poster was considering changing his herd to Longhorn Crosses. Everybody in his wife's family is raising a different set of cows. Some familys can't cooperate on anything; BUT to me they COULD make more money by using similar genetics and marketing them together.

Thanks. I just keep seeing posts from you in the longhorn discussion and figured you must have an interest.

Bos Indicus resolves my problems for this climate. If it weren't for Brahman, I'd be running some sort of LH cross myself. A friend raises SOME for a specific market and does well with them. I am very impressed with how hearty they are in this heat.

backhoeboogie":2phhfw0z said:
Brandonm2":2phhfw0z said:

Thanks. I just keep seeing posts from you in the longhorn discussion and figured you must have an interest.

Bos Indicus resolves my problems for this climate. If it weren't for Brahman, I'd be running some sort of LH cross myself. A friend raises SOME for a specific market and does well with them. I am very impressed with how hearty they are in this heat.

You know BHB, I was thinking the same thing. No offense Brandomm, but I was beginning to think you have a secret yearning to raise some fine longhorn cattle. ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":2bc53fg0 said:
warpaint":2bc53fg0 said:

I would be happy to give you any listing of breeders in your area as well. Just pm me and tell me who you want. I have a new directory.

WagaAgeyv":3p31azp7 said:
Running Arrow Bill":3p31azp7 said:
warpaint":3p31azp7 said:

I would be happy to give you any listing of breeders in your area as well. Just pm me and tell me who you want. I have a new directory.

Yes, we have the new 2007 TLBAA directory also. They publish a new directory every 2 years. My earlier point was that on the ITLA site you can bring up on your computer (and print out if desired) their current member listings. On a 2 year directory, things change between each edition.

Brandonm2":179j03j5 said:
ArrowHBrand":179j03j5 said:
Mnmtranching, I think the boss lady will have lots to say and I bet she will first give me "the look", then use words like crazy, huh?, no way, weird, and finish with "the look" again. Her parents cross an Angus bull on their Maines, her siser has Maines and Simmys, and we have Maines, Shortys, and Crossbreds so this may go over like a rock. However, I'm going to plead my case when she gets home from work and show her how good of a plan this may turn out to be. If things get too out of control I'll just refer her to you for further explanation!! HAHAHA :lol: ;-) :cboy:

If one family has THREE different herds, wouldn't it be more profitable too all use same/similar genetics and pool your uniform calves into larger lots??? Even through the barn, I would rather market 5 similar calves than one, would rather market 5 than 20, 50 is better than 20, and Lord help me,......if I had 80 uniform calves (~a semi truck load), I would be wargaming a dozen different marketing approaches.

If a cross between LH and Char's works for us I would turn our stock herd over to them exclusively and keep the Maines and Shortys as a separate show herd like they are now. We produce a calf crop for the sale barn and one for the show ring. It's a little more work, but it works for us.

Brandonm2":3dsrw96k said:

OH NO!! There are two things we don't discuss in my wife's family too much, cattle and horses. Everyone has their own strong opinion about cattle and we are the only one's who raise horses, or like my mother in law says, "Wastes money on horses". I'm the type that doesn't like to mix business with family. If I had a hired hand and he wasn't working out I'd tell him up front and that would be that. I would feel bad chewing on my brother or sister in law about them and expecting Christmas dinner to be fine and dandy. Like all other producers I'm trying to trim my inputs while still raising a quality animal for maximum profits.

I would sit down at the table with the devil to discuss BUSINESS. If we can't get a deal, we can't get a deal (and most of the time you sit down to discuss a deal you won't be able to suit all parties); but if I think I can make money and all the other parties can make money, I am not afraid to broach the subject.

Oh no it isn't from lack of discussing the topic it's the fact my wife and I are considered to have "wacky, crazy, ridiculous" ideas because we think outside the box. Her parents and oldest sister and her husband work together and are pretty much old school set in their ways. I can't wait to hear what they have to say when we tell them we are thinking of crossing LH's and Char's. We deal pretty closely to my wife's other sister who is into cattle and her husband, but we don't do anything 50/50 or favors. A couple of years ago we needed a bull to breed our cows so we leased one of theirs. I've seen what 50/50 and favors can do to a family and it isn't going to happen to mine. Sometimes it works, but mostly what I've seen it just causes hard feelings. Now would I hire say my brother to work for me, absolutely. Would I want my brother or any other family member as a partner, no way. When it comes to my livestock and my livestock business I'm a hard person and sometimes hard to be around, ask my wife! Could we make more money using similar genetics, probably. However, two families would have to overhaul their herds to realign themselves will similar genetics and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

I just sold(sep 1) a bull calf out of a charolais bull and a longhorn cross momma. Born March 26, 530#, 1.09. Solid, cream.

CowpokeJ":3bdqctk6 said:
I just sold(sep 1) a bull calf out of a charolais bull and a longhorn cross momma. Born March 26, 530#, 1.09. Solid, cream.
Those numbers are the reason why I would like to try it out. Did the calf just get weaned out of pasture or did you have him on feed?

Latest posts