Cross bred bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":1074adwk said:
Prove it.
I don;t know about most, but look at any semen catalog that carrys simangus. I think what got the whole smiangus/balancer deal going was the feedlots wanted 3/4 brit and 1/4 continental cattle. Easiest way to get there for straight bred herds was using a F1s

Red Bull Breeder here you go:
"Utilizing the strengths of two breeds, the American Gelbvieh Association created the Balancer® program. Balancer animals are registered hybrid seedstock with documented pedigrees and EPDs. Balancer cattle are 25-75 percent Gelbvieh with the balance Red Angus or Angus. All polled, Balancer cattle combine the Gelbvieh growth, muscle, retail yield, fertility and unequaled pounds of calf weaned per cow exposed with the marbling of Angus or Red Angus."
From the Limousin Ass.
"What is a Lim-Flex? A commercial Lim-Flex must be 25 to 75 percent Limousin and 25 to 75 percent Angus or Red Angus."
From the American Simmental Ass.
"SimAngusTM refers to cattle with the following characteristics: the animal is at least ¼ Simmental and ¼ Angus or Red Angus and no more than ¾ Simmental or no more than ¾ Angus or Red Angus; the animal's parents are both registered in the database of the American Simmental Association; and the sum of Simmental and Angus or Red Angus blood in the animal is at least ¾."

So with a range of 1/4 to 3/4 one would have to assume the 50/50 is quite common.

I used a lot of them. The guy I get bulls from retains ownership through the feedlot and he shoots for a 75/25 angus/simmi. They preform real well for him. He holds back 24 bulls every year to sell. The calves from those crossbred bulls did real well. The heifers I retained grew into very nice cows.

Redbull is right for the most part. Most of the purebreds are only in the high eighty percent range and we can kinda make an accurate guess where the black purebreds came from so a 50/50 is closer to a 60/40 or worse unless you're using fullblood genetics.

To be honest I cant understand why anyone would want a crossbred bull. Maybe if you were raising beef some some very select traits , maybe. Hybrid kick is one on the few freebies you get in the cattle biz. Why piss it away with a crossbred

I am new to this and surely do not pretend to know. Can you use a Balancer bull 50angus/50GV over Limflex heifers 25Lim/75angus and obtain the same amount of hybrid vigor that you would expect from a 3 way cross? Does using composites work that way?

I am new to this and surely do not pretend to know. Can you use a Balancer bull 50angus/50GV over Limflex heifers 25Lim/75angus and obtain the same amount of hybrid vigor that you would expect from a 3 way cross? Does using composites work that way?

There are various compositions and combinations that could be used. In the example above, the amount of hybrid vigor to an F1 animal would be around 60+%

Here is a link to a chart that shows the amount of hybrid vigor that can be possible with various scenarios.

http://compositebeef.com/why-composites.html

To be honest I cant understand why anyone would want a crossbred bull. Maybe if you were raising beef some some very select traits , maybe. Hybrid kick is one on the few freebies you get in the cattle biz. Why be nice it away with a crossbred

Here is a link to a very good article that goes a long way to explaining!

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2012/September/CT2818.php

cbcr":2iqi8fa6 said:

There are various compositions and combinations that could be used. In the example above, the amount of hybrid vigor to an F1 animal would be around 60+%

Here is a link to a chart that shows the amount of hybrid vigor that can be possible with various scenarios.

http://compositebeef.com/why-composites.html

To be honest I cant understand why anyone would want a crossbred bull. Maybe if you were raising beef some some very select traits , maybe. Hybrid kick is one on the few freebies you get in the cattle biz. Why be nice it away with a crossbred
H

Here is a link to a very good article that goes a long way to explaining!

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2012/September/CT2818.php[/quote

Nice link, but as usual they never tell all the story. If you are retaining heifers for your herd, makes sense. If you are after uniformity of calves to sell an order buyer makes since. If you are raising terminal calves that puss the scales down that will be sold at auction, its pure bs. It's all about what your trying to achieve.

Latest posts