Critique My Bull Calf (Pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
This is my two week old Holstein bull calf Prince. What do you guys think of him? I want to show him possibly when he's older. In one of the pictures he's not standing as nice as he normally does and would look great once he's taught to pose for show. He will be started on grain next week and maybe start with halter breaking. We had one on him Friday and he was really calm and could care less about it I have worked with him a lot, been doing a lot of desensitizing. So do you think he would be good for show? Or should I want a month or so to see how he fills out? :) I'm with Prince in one of them hehe

Picture729.jpg

Picture728.jpg

Here's the one where he looks a bit awkward. \/

Picture727.jpg

Picture688.jpg

Looks all right but hard to tell on a little calf like that. ;-)

How come you picked a bull calf...vs., say, a heifer?

Well lol, I personally have more of a favoring bulls and steers, (which he will be in a few weeks.) I dont like to deal with the whole udder perfection thing and to me they are more work than I need at the moment. We do have a heifer though, but shes not the showy type; she has a very thin rear and underbite too so thats why I didnt pick a her otherwise I might have considered it. :lol:

WarriorPatriot":39i2bc1f said:
Well lol, I personally have more of a favoring bulls and steers, (which he will be in a few weeks.) I dont like to deal with the whole udder perfection thing and to me they are more work than I need at the moment. We do have a heifer though, but shes not the showy type; she has a very thin rear and underbite too so thats why I didnt pick a her otherwise I might have considered it. :lol:

just get her some braces and a workout video and you'll have her fixed

Still harbor a unfavorable relationship with Holsteins...but I think that he is to young to tell what he will look like once he gets some groceries in him...where's his mama...IMO three weeks is a bit young for grain, we let ours eat what they want when they think that they are ready usually just hay with mom for a couple of months. Keep working him, can't start to early.
DMc

WarriorPatriot":16ipwlg4 said:

I learned something new today. I wasn't actually aware folks showed holstein steers. Beef steers, yes, and holstein bulls, but haven't ever seen a holstein steer in a show.

Hey, with that heifer, you don't have to worry about the whole udder perfection thing for two years yet. That gives you quite awhile to show without even dealing with that. ;-)

Frequently you'll find a good worming and good feed and the calf will put on more weight...however, do remember that holsteins don't have the kind of weight that beef animals do. I don't know how "thin" that heifer's hindquarters are but I suspect with decent feed it won't be a problem.

Got a picture? ;-)

Yup sure thing I have one of her. Actually, the more I look at her the more I think she is ok. But she is pretty petite and skinny and her teeth remind me of a beaver lol I'm not sure how bad her underbite would hurt her in show, but this is her, Mariposa's her name. She's a twin heifer to a bull calf so she's no use in breeding. But I dont know much about that, can someone explain that to me, why a heifer being a twin of a bull cant breed?
If anyone wants more pics of the calves let me know

Picture713.jpg

I don't understand the exact physiological reasons that a twin heifer to a bull is usually sterile; but it has something to do with sharing male hormones in the womb produced by her brother. Those sterile heifers are called "freemartins". Your heifer looks nice in the photo. I think she would make a decent Holstein show heifer; though really it is too early too tell. It is (obviously) not a problem with people, pigs, dogs, goats, sheep, or anything else I can think of; but it IS true for cattle.

A freemartin heifer is a disqualification in the show ring.

However, while she's young it won't be obvious whether she is or isn't and I'm sure you could show her with no problems.

I have a twin bull-heifer pair here and I've wondered a little if the heifer was fertile or a freemartin...but right now I'm just waiting. When she reaches 600lbs I'll have her vet checked and then I'll know for certain.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe calves get their teeth checked very often by the judges. :lol: Your heifer should be fine in the ring and you can learn with her.

milkmaid":3r5leim7 said:
I have a twin bull-heifer pair here and I've wondered a little if the heifer was fertile or a freemartin...but right now I'm just waiting. When she reaches 600lbs I'll have her vet checked and then I'll know for certain.

Not alwasy true. There are varying degrees of expression of freemartinism. It can range from as obvious as misshaped vulva to being normal in all respects except the ability to maintain a pregnancy. There are two sure fire ways to know for sure. A DNA test, that can be done as a calf, the other is wait and see if she gets bred and carries the calf full term and delivers. That one only takes up to 2 years or so and is a waste of feed and time.

dun

Latest posts