Crippled Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Awp0302

Reaction score
I have a red angus bull calf that doesn't use his back right leg. It just kind of hangs there like it is too short to reach the ground. He spends most of his days laying down, and only gets up to move around when the herd moves, or he hears a corn bucket. He walks on his other 3 legs, but it is starting to bow his back and make him misshaped. We know he won't be able to be sold at market, but what do you all think this will do to his quality of meat should we decide that the only route is to have him butchered? He is almost 5 months old now, and will probably have to be moved to a barn stall if we keep him, and he continues to grow. Thanks!

Sounds like a calf that had navel I'll as a baby.
Feed him until he gets big enough that he can't get up easy. Then grind him into hamburger.

We fed one out one time that was born with a bum leg. Steak so tender you could cut it with a fork. He didn't move around much so the meat was super tender.

I never had a problem selling at the auction with cripples as long as it's not an infection type problem. Don't get much though

Should be nice in fat if he can't move around much. I would pen him up with a buddy, and finish him out for a few months. Don't know where you are but I have some pre-booked kill dates in central Texas if you are nearby and can't get one.

I have a red angus bull calf that doesn't use his back right leg. It just kind of hangs there like it is too short to reach the ground. He spends most of his days laying down, and only gets up to move around when the herd moves, or he hears a corn bucket. We know he won't be able to be sold at market, but what do you all think this will do to his quality of meat should we decide that the only route is to have him butchered? He is almost 5 months old now, and will probably have to be moved to a barn stall if we keep him, and he continues to grow. Thanks!
If you sell him, expect 20 cents lb x 400 lbs = $80 minus commission and trucking
Butcher him.
The butcher will dispose of the withered leg and the rest of the meat will be good.
Move him to a barn if he has trouble getting feed or water.
Otherwise being outside allows him to choose where to make himself the most comfortable. I've seen crippled steers like that reach 7-800 lbs without too much trouble.

I have a red angus bull calf that doesn't use his back right leg. It just kind of hangs there like it is too short to reach the ground. He spends most of his days laying down, and only gets up to move around when the herd moves, or he hears a corn bucket. He walks on his other 3 legs, but it is starting to bow his back and make him misshaped. We know he won't be able to be sold at market, but what do you all think this will do to his quality of meat should we decide that the only route is to have him butchered? He is almost 5 months old now, and will probably have to be moved to a barn stall if we keep him, and he continues to grow. Thanks!
Hello. We've been cattlemen for many years and once had a calf with the same issue. Doc said he was missing a tendon so we fed him out. Sorry about your calf.

That is a classic sign of spastic paresis. It is a recessive genetic condition. Usually they are very post legged. Mostly came from show cattle lines with certain Maine Anjou lines going back to Cunia. I always understood it took the recessive gene on both sides to lead to an affected calf, but my memory may not be so good on that. Had one from an Irish Whiskey cow (Maine) one time and he eventually died at about 3 months. He would lay out in the pasture and eat all the grass around him and then get up and go a little ways and do it again. Hard to watch and they only get progressively worse, never better and because their leg muscles are basically firing in spasms it is painful for them -- like a muscle cramp on both sides of their leg. Eat him before he goes downhill on condition.

A great explanation GoWyo! That has got to be really painful as it sounds like both the extending and flexing muscles are trying to work at the same time.

Thanks Greybeard. They just lock up on the rear leg and stand on the other three swinging the most affected leg in small circles. I think it eventually gets to the other leg and then they can't get up and they die of subsequent causes.

Latest posts