creeping calves

Help Support CattleToday:

JS over this way hardly anybody will contract feed except in Sept for Oct-March delivery. By then all crops are in and they have purchased their ingredients and have a better handle on their costs. As for corn if your buying from individuals or brokers you may get a dozen different prices. If you can buy staight from the folks that actually own the corn in the elevator they probably are more likely to give a straight across the board quote to anyone. FOB the elevator is one thing but then when you take on another $.60-.70 a bushel for freight then the price goes up.

Northweat florida yep. you are paying a premium for corn the same way I pay a premium for live lobster.

Why would you put corn in a creep feeder? Corn is a low protein feedlot feed and I wouldnt think that you would put a suckling calf on a full feed of corn.

Beef Man":11bd489g said:
Why would you put corn in a creep feeder? Corn is a low protein feedlot feed and I wouldnt think that you would put a suckling calf on a full feed of corn.
I doubt many feed straight corn in a creep feeder but I keep a feed out all the tiem that is 50% cracked corn. Just something for the calves to begin nibbling on as soon as they get the urge. Some go in the feeder as early as 3 weeks old...they don't eat much but eventually begin to eat more. In most feeds corn is the primary energy source although other grains can be substituted to some degree.

Latest posts