Creep Feed Ration

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckian

Reaction score
I currently have 40 weaned beef calves I have on creep feed. They have all the grass they can eat, free choice hay and feed. Just gonna get opinions on the feed ration I am using, the calves are 275-350 pounds. I usually buy them at 250 pounds and creep feed them for 2 month. All Bulls/steers. They seem to be doing pretty good on the current feed, but always looking for ways to improve. Thanks for replies!

I was going to add a picture showing ration but couldn't get it loaded up.
13.06 protein
2.21 fat
14.10 fiber
0.73 calcium
0.43 phosphorus

No limiter, mainly a pellet/rolled corn/soybean meal/molasses ration

Can't tell all that much about it but if it's a loose feed where you can at least see that it has some corn in it that helps. Calf should do ok. Just be sure you feed him enough to do some good. 2-3 lbs. a day is a waste of time and money.

The feed definitely has a good amount of corn in it. The way I have it figured the calves are eating roughly 9 to 9.5 pounds per head per day of feed. Think that is too much for those little calves? Thanks for the reply

kentuckian":2wez71mn said:
The feed definitely has a good amount of corn in it. The way I have it figured the calves are eating roughly 9 to 9.5 pounds per head per day of feed. Think that is too much for those little calves? Thanks for the reply
Should be ok as long as you know they are also eating plenty of roughage otherwise I'd cut it back to 6-7lbs. for a while.

Not with free choice hay and grass unless they have real good protein levels.
That small you need 15-16% in the total ration.

Is there risk of these calves getting too fleshy if I keeo them below the 450 pound mark?

I buy some lightweight feeders and we feed a 16% feed that is 3% fat. My neighbor uses the same feed and buys mostly 3 weights and up. Both of us usually have good gains on it, ours average over 2 lbs. a day overall on limited pasture but good hay, sometimes we average over 3 lbs. a day.

Sounds like good gains! I just got started raising cattle last year, Ive got these feeders and about 10 heifers I'm going to put a bull in with around mid June. I've got more grass than money to buy the cattle to graze it all at this point. I think I've found a good niche with these feather weight calves so right now I guess I'm in the experimental phase as far as creep feed vs bucket feeding, different ratio feeds, the whole 9 yards. Overall I'm looking for the best way to raise these calves for their overall health and my bottom line. Thanks to all for the input! I'll be more than glad to listen to any pointers you all have on these little feeders!

just because it bothers me............
You are not creep feeding- that implies they have to crawl thru something to get at the feed and most importantly they are still on the cow.
You have them on a self feeder.

I just picked up on you saying they are eating nine lbs/day/head. The 16% feed will be more than fine at that rate. I had in my mind they were eating a good portion of hay or grass and they can't.

Howdyjabo":7dyb8iqp said:
just because it bothers me............
You are not creep feeding- that implies they have to crawl thru something to get at the feed and most importantly they are still on the cow.
You have them on a self feeder.

I just picked up on you saying they are eating nine lbs/day/head. The 16% feed will be more than fine at that rate. I had in my mind they were eating a good portion of hay or grass and they can't.
'Howdy...he said they were weaned. Not going to argue but they don't need a 16% feed.

Most in this neck of the woods use creep feeding loosely much like they use the word "yearling". If there is a feeder out and the calf can go to it at will it's considered creep feeding whether weaned or not.

Anything from 300 lbs. up regardless of age is referred to as a yearling (usually pronounced yurlin'). ;-)

Yes, typically most people refer to it as creep feeding around here, wether on or off the cow. No big deal. What is the most important factor I need to look into as far as feed? Protein percentage, fat, ingredients? Trying to cut out a lot of trial and error, may just have to look at purchase and sell weights on different feeds and groups of calves and go from there.

Latest posts