Credit card hackers

Help Support CattleToday:

It's the Russians..
:lol: :lol:

I never use an ATM at a convenience store.
Too easy for someone to place an extra card reader in or on the machine.
I look around when using my card, to make sure there are no security cams that can record my card and pin inputs.

That's all I use is a debit card. My bank has always backed me when I've had trouble. I don't even have a credit card. I had three at one time and got in a bind. Won't ever have them again.

I've heard some horror stories regarding debit card theft. But so far I've been lucky and haven't had much trouble.

They can hack your computer.
They can hack a bank or CC company.
They can hack a business like they did Wendy's not to long ago.
They can put scanners on card readers.
Employees at a business where you use your card can still it.
With the new chips all they have to do is walk past you with a reader in their pocket and it will scan your card in your wallet or purse and give them your info.
They also use fake phone calls.

M.Magis":zz75uvx3 said:
I quit using my debit card because of this. You have very little protection/recourse with most debit cards.

You get some protection if you don't link accounts ... as in linking a checking/debit account to a bigger savings account for overdraft protection. The most they can usually steal is whatever is in the smaller checking/debit account.

And of course, the fewer times you actually use a debit card, the less chance you have of data/funds being stolen. I had to lay the law down on my wife about using hers for little bitty purchases--like vending machine drinks or snacks. :bang:

"Stop by OUR bank ATM or counter and get & keep some cash for that sort of thing!!" :bang: :bang: :bang:

Craig Miller":3hu1c7pz said:
That's all I use is a debit card. My bank has always backed me when I've had trouble. I don't even have a credit card. I had three at one time and got in a bind. Won't ever have them again.

Your playing with fire. Just remember that's your money in your account, not credit put forth by a third party.
Greybeard I've never used a ATM and don't plan to.

Spent some time on the phone with them and I believe we've figured out what happened. There is a portal which allows the customer to go check out their charges and keep track of their account which I have never used. Since this was idle someone else hacked into this and began changing some information and they were able to see the new card numbers before I ever even received them.

Today, someone tried to purchase over $1000 at Walgreens in Las Vegas. What in the world can you buy at Walgreen's that will add up to $1000? Anyhow, the good news is none of the transactions went through so whatever USAA is using as a safety measure worked because everything was declined. Just some aggravation for everyone involved. I've also got it set up now where each time the card is used I'll be informed via a text to my phone and I also requested that if they find out who did the hacking to please text me their address.

I give her lots of freeboard in our voyage thru life, but this is one area I won't do it.
I don't use any atm except the one AT our branch bank, and usually only to get cash if we're going on a road trip and I want to have some cash in my pocket. It's not like I'm asking her to do anything I am not already doing myself. It would be better if we went to the counter and got cash, but we often leave outside banking hours and in the last couple of years, with my brother being in such a poor medical state, I never know when a call is going to come telling me to get on the road for Little Rock again. It's usually a 'throw some clothes in a bag, make a thermos of coffee, kick the tires, turn the ign key to light the fire and out the driveway" kind of thing.
Bank ATMs are pretty secure..the ones out in the public, like convenience stores, Walmart, etc you just never know about.

I was with my neice a couple years ago at a big festival/craft show in Huntsville Tx, about 50 miles from here and she made a CC purchase at one of the booths. Within a 1/2 hour of her purchase, someone up North (Indiana I think) had charged $300 to her card.

You folks stand in line at a counter to get greenbacks?

Remember, yall are the ones talking about worry over being hacked.
I've not (yet) had to experience such an unfortunate event.

True Grit Farms":29oa90gv said:
Your playing with fire. Just remember that's your money in your account, not credit put forth by a third party.

What i call playing with fire is living on money that ain't mine.

Craig Miller":aruznasg said:
True Grit Farms":aruznasg said:

It sure can be, but it doesn't hurt as bad when someone else's money gets stolen.

True Grit Farms":20798ogq said:
Craig Miller":20798ogq said:
True Grit Farms":20798ogq said:

It sure can be, but it doesn't hurt as bad when someone else's money gets stolen.

I also have a $600 dollar per day limit on my card. Which can be a pain by its self. I takes some planning sometimes to make that work.

True Grit Farms":2aep8y57 said:
It doesn't hurt that particular consumer or cardholder but it hurts someone.
I've seen lots of discussions about theft over the years and the one over-riding thing I've noticed is how easily it is brushed aside, most often that some nameless, faceless, international corporation can absorb loss so much more easily than any individual can, either thru loss insurance or their multitudinous collective wealth. That assertion is one of the reasons thieves (especially white collar criminals and intellectual property criminals) do what they do--their validation is "no one really gets hurt".
Theft is theft no matter what. IP theft is in the billions of $ of losses each year. So are losses from CC data theft.
It matters little to me whether it's my bank, a card issuer, or my personally funded account that gets robbed..someone is losing no matter what. I would be no less careful using a CC than I am using my debit card, and a debit card is no different than what we have all done over our lives..it's simply a more convenient way of writing out a paper check. In fact, when you write a check nowadays, the bank usually converts it to an electronic transaction anyway. I use 3 different banks and all three process paper transaction electronically.
If you still write paper checks for anything, you've used a debit card whether you know it or not. It may not be in your wallet or have to enter a pin # but that check got translated into digital information, maybe even at the point of purchase.

Latest posts