"Creating/Inflating EPS"

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
OK, another bull buying question. I know there are ways to "inflate" EPD's. I think one way is to early wean & make a huge 205 adjustment.

I visited with a potential seed stock supplier. They have a good reputation. Yet you look through their catalog, all EPS's with actual bw and a projected sale day weight. Also no carcass data. In visiting with them he said that they feel the poorer bulls on actual preformance might get over looked becuase the weight might not so their true potential. As an EPD takes out the envirmental factors. Which I do agree with that comment. Yet its kinda like Obama refusing to show his birth certificate. Full disclosure, ya I believe he is a citizen. Hillary made dang sure of that. Why not show the actual information for better or worse? I politely pushed the issue a little. He made the comment that they don't creep, and weaning weights are usually in the 500 range. Which would somewhat make sense. Some of their WW makes me think the actual or 205 should be well over the 500ish# range. He was very general in the ww comment. So maybe the vast majority of them is say 575-595 IDK. You get the idea.

So just thinking to myself. Why not show the actual information unless they are minuplating the system to create EPD's? It could all be on the up & up. The catalog shows a picture of every bull and not much room left to show actual data. Thing is no supplement sheets or anything on sale day. Which most sales, you normally get some supplement sheets. They don't ultra sound until after the sale. So that explains that part, but he didn't really want to share much of the actual ww or yw either. So just kinda wondering if they are hidding something to help build EPD's or if its just a legitmate up and up deal with not enough room in the catalog?

If his weaning weights are in the 500-600 lb range and he says it, I don't think he's hiding anything on that part, it sure isn't a number to write home about.

I don't really see how weaning early and making a huge adjustment would affect it since the formula considers reduced growth as the animal gets older, so unless he's weaning at 3 months, I don't think so.

He seems to be the type that is catering to people who look at a bull and judge him by what they see.

Well that was kinda my first thought. IDK, just kinda strange that he wasn't more forth giving about information. I just asked about supplement sheets in general. I didn't ask about the weaning weight of say lot 17, so he was talking about the weights in general. I got the feeling though that if I would of asked specifically about lot 17, IDK if I would of gotten what I was asking for. He was very friendly over the phone & and answered lots of other stuff, like creep feeding and not to use their $60K bull on heifers. He was pretty quite and if I pushed for actual information I don't know if Id get it, or he would of ended the conversation.

Latest posts