Crazy steer

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusSenorita

Reaction score
My steer started out walking well but he recently learned how to throw his weight around. He runs me into fences, tries to take off, plants his feet, tries to walk over me and more. I have found that if I stick my fingers in his nostrils and pull his head up (as if he had a ring) that he would stop temporarily. It is only a quick fix, after that he starts acting even worse. He is around 800 lbs right now, he is already dangerous and out of control, if I don't find a solution soon I will be in trouble.

Thanks for the replys, I am leaving for Seattle tomo so I might not be able to reply until I get back(and my steer will have time to calm down, athough all this started after I got back from my chruch mission trip)

Thanks

A halter with a chain under the jaw and a small pen. 800lbs isn't too big at-all to make him mind.

thanks for the advice, I was thinking of a nose ring if things don't improve. 800lbs is quite a bit more than 130. I am strong, so are my mom and dad. We use all our smarts and strength right now and he can push us pretty easily

Keep in mind the things that we have and an animal does not, are reasoning ability and logic. Think ahead, plan all your moves and consider every last "what if", don't let your attention wander, and recognize when he's going to act up three steps before he actually does -- and put a fast halt to it. I run holsteins over here, and they get a lot bigger than 800lbs. I have one cow that is a solid 1800lbs right now, and you better believe it is total concentration when I'm working around her! :lol:

You were gone for a week, right, on that trip? I personally think that part of the problem is he's forgotten some of his manners. Make sure you're tying him up before you work him. I'm not quite sure he's become a crazy steer just yet. When you feel him starting to act up, trying turning him in a circle. Just keep getting him going in circles until he realizes that when he walks right, it's much easier. When he acts up, he's gotta work for it. I don't think he's gotten to the point of needing a nose ring just yet.

My daughters steer last year did that when he got to a certain age. We just walked him and walked him until he got tired of walking.

My steer does that too. I get in the pen and lead him, if he gives me trouble. I lead him with the four-wheeler for a nice LONG walk. Not only does it tire him ot and make it easy to lead him when we get home, it builds muscle! :cboy:

we have a homemade walker that we pull behind the truck, if the 4h calves won't behave for us they get a long walk on the walker and they quickly change their attitudes.

We had that same exact problem with a steer this year and bought a temp nose ring from the NASCO catalog. 1st night it was a rodeo until the nose became tender, 2nd night better but still not respectful...the 3rd night we had a puppy dog. The calf now understands that by not acting up he won't get hurt. It was the best $10 I have spent in years. Google NASCO and you will be able to find it from there. I think they technically call it a bull lead, don't buy the spring loaded one...get the brass snap in model.

cowboy13":2dryq6wr said:
bigdaddy":2dryq6wr said:
We had that same exact problem with a steer this year and bought a temp nose ring from the NASCO catalog. 1st night it was a rodeo until the nose became tender, 2nd night better but still not respectful...the 3rd night we had a puppy dog. The calf now understands that by not acting up he won't get hurt. It was the best $10 I have spent in years. Google NASCO and you will be able to find it from there. I think they technically call it a bull lead, don't buy the spring loaded one...get the brass snap in model.

Get the sping loaded one. I had a brass one on a bull and left it in because he was a little rowdy, when they drink water it gets it wet. We had to cut it out of his nose because it rusted shut.

How long did you leave that clamp in that it rusted? Musta been a fair old while. We never lead clamps in animals outside of their pens, and only rarely when they are penned if they are really difficult.

IMO, brass clips are MUCH better than spring loaded ones- apart from their practicality, they are much easier to manage!

Latest posts