crazy prices

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Had a guy come by to visit this afternoon; this guy bought replacement heifers from my dad almost yearly. When he called to ask if he could drop by, I ofcourse agreed... Only the neighborly thing to do. As we were riding through my pastures, we came up to where my cows were..... He saw a cow with a 2 week old calf at her side. Not a great cow, just an average commercial brangus, 2009 model - and not the best of my cows by a long shot. He asked if I would consider selling her. I wasn't ready for that question. He immediately offered a high price before I could respond, and then went up $200 more before I could answer his first offer. He did the same thing with a springing heifer (again commercial brangus) I had. He left owning two out of my herd.... My jaw is still hanging.....

So the question is what would it take for you to sell a cow/calf out of your pasture? Prices are high, that's for sure, but if someone "had to have" a cow out of your pasture, what would you have to get for her? Registered/seedstock is totally different; in this case, just everyday normal commercial brangus...

It seems like we've quicky gone from lucky to get $400 per calf, to "nameing our price". strange days indeed...

Opinions??

cypressfarms":15a5nl2h said:
Had a guy come by to visit this afternoon; this guy bought replacement heifers from my dad almost yearly. When he called to ask if he could drop by, I ofcourse agreed... Only the neighborly thing to do. As we were riding through my pastures, we came up to where my cows were..... He saw a cow with a 2 week old calf at her side. Not a great cow, just an average commercial brangus, 2009 model - and not the best of my cows by a long shot. He asked if I would consider selling her. I wasn't ready for that question. He immediately offered a high price before I could respond, and then went up $200 more before I could answer his first offer. He did the same thing with a springing heifer (again commercial brangus) I had. He left owning two out of my herd.... My jaw is still hanging.....

So the question is what would it take for you to sell a cow/calf out of your pasture? Prices are high, that's for sure, but if someone "had to have" a cow out of your pasture, what would you have to get for her? Registered/seedstock is totally different; in this case, just everyday normal commercial brangus...

It seems like we've quicky gone from lucky to get $400 per calf, to "nameing our price". strange days indeed...

Opinions??

I haven't got less than 800 bucks for a 4 wt this year at the salebarn.
Now my braford girl's I will sell but are not for sale. Great replacements are scarce.
It would take 1600 to 2000 froghides depending on the girl.

I cant imagine selling anything out of the pasture, not. But then I am a trader so every cow in the field has a price. Sometimes it is so high I know they wont buy but a cow is a cow, all mine are for sale. I have a guy that will send me a check next week for the cows he will pick out sometime. He needs it for tax time. He never gets there to look before Jan 1 but every year sends a check and then comes later and picks something out.

What do the females weigh? Bull or heifer calf? Around me young commerical pairs are bringing $1550-$1800 depending on the cow and size of the calf. I just bought nice 1200# 6 yr old pair both black with a 525# steer for $1500 off a farm. Bred heifers vary according to quality. $1100-$1750 . B&G

Caustic Burno":3b3f3i6f said:

He hit $1800 before I could even say a word.....I'm still kind of shocked. I'm thinking of calling him back and asking if he'd like the whole herd! Nah, I have to have an excuse to get out of the house at a moments notice ;-)

I said all last spring that I wasnt going to give 1800 for any pairs. Bought some on order for people but never to go home until late June. Finally bought 4 pairs one week for 1700-1800. I still say its too high but I think that or higher will be normal this spring.

cypressfarms":3f1sy5y0 said:

Opinions??

Did the same thing in 2002. Named our price and sold 1/4 of the herd (20 head) at $1400 for commercial cow/calf pairs, when most pairs were worth 1100-1200. If I did the same thing today, it would be at least 2000 on a pair, 1600 on a bred cow and 1500 on a bred heifer.

2k for pairs, 1700 for bred, and 1750 for bred heifers. I will make a package deal for all including hay. Must be hauled out by Dec 31st. Better hurry, price goes up daily.

Can you imagine being young and trying to get into it right now? Either a long slow road or a long rough very expensive road.

CB, you go to the same salebarns year over year--what are the price diff this month compared to this same time last year when there was no or very little hay in 2011 Texas?

It's all relative to the price of calves. With the droughts in key areas the last couple of years, a lot of young cows and heifers have went to slaughter. As long as live cattle prices are high, there will be a good demand for replacements.

It's pricey to be buying in for sure. But there are deals out there. Just have to be in the right place and right time

Commercial Brahman heifers were bringing $2.60 at Mansura this week. Scrawny chicken-legged commercial cows were getting $1400-$1600 final bids.

Are you heading to the Christmas party at Farmer's Feed Mill today?

greybeard":3hjzo57z said:
Can you imagine being young and trying to get into it right now? Either a long slow road or a long rough very expensive road.

CB, you go to the same salebarns year over year--what are the price diff this month compared to this same time last year when there was no or very little hay in 2011 Texas?

Prices are down on return to the farm cow's. It is a little higher than last year due to slaughter buyers have the price up.
With the drought everyone is scared to pull the trigger. Doing the same thing I am doing holding on to hay.
I have seen 2000 dollar girl's bringing 1400 to 1500 now this is Brangus and Tiger girl's.

I bought an additional 10 pair back in March, small calves and open cows, and had to give $1,565/pair. We received just enough rain and found hay that was reasonable so I was able to retain them. Ended up selling right at $9,200 worth of calves off of them. I was tickled to say the least.

greybeard":12kwueor said:
Yes I can!
Prices went through the roof just about the time I got my ranch into escrow and I had already agreed to keep up the leases on ground I already had. It's scary to buy a pair for $1,800 but in reality it's the same investment as buying a pair for $900 at the prices we were used to before everything blew up. The pinch comes in trying to buy young cows and not knowing what the rate of return will be five years down the road.
It was certainly a downer to have to cough up for the ranch and then turn around and pay double what I expected for cattle BUT once we're off and running there's more profit and my net worth has shot up since what cattle I did have are now worth double what they were as well.
I'm somewhat understocked but I'm holding the best heifers every year so I can't justify buying expensive pairs without knowing what the cows will bring as culls in a few years when I'm stocked up.
I don't think a guy could get a foot in the door on purchased ground without some outside income.

greybeard":1j9vp20g said:

I am young and trying to get started, 21 to be exact. I've been lucky with all the cows I have bought in the last two years. My biggest problem is being able to afford fertilizer so I can get my pastures up to par and be able to produce quality winter feed.

cypressfarms":26n1wrv2 said:
Caustic Burno":26n1wrv2 said:

He hit $1800 before I could even say a word.....I'm still kind of shocked. I'm thinking of calling him back and asking if he'd like the whole herd! Nah, I have to have an excuse to get out of the house at a moments notice ;-)

;-)

I understand your comment about not talking the price of PB - just commercials. But, when the commercial price jumps like this - think what it does for PB producers :banana: :banana: :banana:
It's all in the "trickle down theory". I'm far from being "top dowg" in the PB business, but higher than average. Just sold a 2 month old heifer calf for $4000. Granted, she's an ET heifer, but I have a natural AI calf priced at $5000 at now 3 months old.
It is a pretty exciting time to be in the cattle business.
I DEFINATELY would not want to be trying to buy a herd.
When you talk about a 1200# cow with a 500+ # calf on side, and you pay around $1500- then you're essentually paying about $500 for the factory!

Latest posts