Crazy cow finally gone

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Had a old cow I've been trying to catch for 2 years, she was part of a herd I bought already on a farm that I started leasing. For some reason she went in the corral today so I caught her and loaded her up no trouble... yet. Get to the sale barn open trailer gate she runs out but doesn't turn to go down the alley. So I step in there thinking she'll turn once she sees me, wrong. She charges me I have only the trailer to go to so I run in there and she follows and slams my head repeatedly against the gate. I finally get around her and make it to a gate all the while her on my heels. I got lucky no stitches just bumps and bruises and a headache. She ran in the trailer 2 or 3 more times after I got out of there never seen one run back in the trailer like that.

Glad you made it out ok. I'd say she gave the boys working inside the sale barn a run for their money too. I know it's always a relief to have one like her gone from the place.

No I didnt keep any heifers I still have a steer from her that I couldnt catch. But itll be easier with her gone now

Ky cowboy said:
No I didnt keep any heifers I still have a steer from her that I couldnt catch. But itll be easier with her gone now

They do seem to pass that gene on. I've got two cows now, you can't handle, and one more you'd better not trust. About 20 years ago, I had a bull that about 1/3 of his calves were just man eaters. Had to raise one on the bottle. Even when it was a few days old, if you got in the pen with it, it would go crazy butting you. Never stopped, he had to be bottle fed from the opposite side of the gate, or just wouldn't eat. When finally weanded from the bottle, he was still crazy. Kept him to 5-600 pounds as best I remember, and had to be loaded with horses and dogs. Shock of my life, that a calf could be raised on a bottle and never once calm down.

I believe I will be able to catch her calf and theres one more. They've been in the corral several times with feed. They would just take off with her. Now that she's gone should go easier. Might of been able to get them yesterday also. But I wasnt willing to risk her getting out

Ky cowboy said:
I warned them. I told them if she got out to shoot her and call me so I know I'm not getting a check

If she got out and had to be shot, you would still get a check from sale barn through livestock insurance.

Aaron said:
Ky cowboy said:
I warned them. I told them if she got out to shoot her and call me so I know I'm not getting a check

If she got out and had to be shot, you would still get a check from sale barn through livestock insurance.

Yup took some hogs to barn 3 years ago day before sale got their on sale day to look at cattle owner come up to me told me he was sorry but all the small hogs had escaped And last they seen them they was heading into a pine thicket down the road. I ended up making more off the ones that didn't sale on insurance than I did on the 2 bigger boar hogs I sold with them

I sold a very nice tiger stripe heifer this year she was a looker and wild as the wind thought she was gonna tear gate off trailer before I got her out at barn I told the poor old fella working the drop off gate he better look out when he opened the door up she came out like a tornado I was glad to be rid of her and glad of the money she brought

They can hurt you. Have found over the years to try to load in a group with others going to the sale. Even took one nut and one good cow to the sale and had them load the good one back on the trailer after they got them separate to weigh. We will put a crazy one like that in the barn lot where the fences are high, to keep them in til sale day.
I don't have the ability to run fast enough to get away from one now, and it is just not worth the nutty ones taking some out the gate with them every time they go either.

Neighbor had a bull that they couldn't keep in the catch pen long enough to get the trailer up there to load. He wouldn't go anywhere near the pen if he saw the trailer. Finally his hormones got the better of him and he couldn't keep his nose away from a cow in heat. Loaded them both on the trailer, took to town, got the bull weighed in and loaded the poor tired cow back in the trailer and took her home. His calves were not crazy, he really wasn't either... just decided that he wouldn't stay in the catch pen. Was glad to see him gone though.

If you have a crazy one and need some meat.... get someone that is a crack shot, and shoot it out in the field quietly grazing. Don't let the adrenaline get going in their system as it will make the meat tough. If they are dropped on the spot, with no inkling they are going to be "messed with", the meat is often not so bad. If it is an older cow, just make it into stew and burger.... or find a place that makes things like bologna and hot dogs and such.... jerky..... but you got to get them UNAWARES so there is no adrenaline running through their system.

I've had her head in the cross hairs several times. The other day was her last chance to go to the sale barn. If it hadn't of worked out I was going to use her for coyote bait

Glad she's gone, hope you're alright. When I bought this foundation herd, had a couple try to climb the facilities while working/pregging, a couple were probably good cows, but I passed.