Crazy cow

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
My brother called the other night and said one of his cows had lost its mind.
His father in law was standing in the back yard watching the cows and this one wheeled around, ignored a open gate, jumped over the corral, ran to the fence jumped into the yard went to the outer fence jumped it. There was a open gate a few feet away, ran across the highway jumped into Dads field jumped into another field tore down that fence and almost flattened a railroad tie. ran to the back field jumped that fence and went into a least 4,000 acres of government forest. All with no one chasing her.
He tried to walk her home but she took off into the woods.
So he went home.

She came home about 8:00 pm jumped back in the field and has been calm ever since.
She has a 6 month old calf, that she left behind. and is bred back.
He's selling her asap, but I was wondering if anyone ever had one do this???
She has always been a little high strung, but only when you was working with them.
NO one was doing anything the other day.
By the way these are all five strand barbwire or woven wire fences in good shape.
Dan

WOW ..........time for her to grow wheels
or send to the road;;;;;;;;;;;d;;;;;;;;;;oooooooooo

Maybe she's in heat. I have one cow that is kind of a pet. I walk up and scratch her ears. Quiet as a mouse. When she gets in heat, fences are no obstruction at all. Fortunately she's always settled on the first heat so far. Saves on fences. She has a great calf every year.

Perhaps you have locoweed growing in your pastures? It got it's name for a reason! I've seen a cow or two after eating the stuff. :shock:

Something just doesn't add up. I'm not sure that you and your brother were getting the whole story. I'd leave the cow alone and get rid of the father-in-law.

Caustic Burno":3s8pojwa said:
That girl would have gotten her 3 chances first,last and only, I would turn her into foldin money.
You do whatever you want to, but if I have a cow do that and my father-in-law is the only one around, I'm running his ass off.

I'd get rid of the father in law and the cow/calf pair.

Something had to happen for here to go so balistic and leave her calve.

You'll probably get docked hard for your father in law, but the cow calf pair may do well.

cypressfarms":18eae2rx said:
You'll probably get docked hard for your father in law, but the cow calf pair may do well.

Maybe if he's castrated he won;t get docked as bad

dun

I asked my brother if his father in law shot her with a bb gun or something.
I don't know his father in law but I don't think he would do something like that.
Dun- I will mention your suggestion to my brother. Do you think banding is best??????
The cow is a brangus. She is actually out of a registered brangus bull I used to have.
I have one of her older sisters and never had any problems. Her mother is still on the place and is about 12 years old.
I guess she is psychotic, he had enough of her she is going away as soon as possible
I think he is keeping the calf though.
Dan

danl":we81pe3v said:
Dun- I will mention your suggestion to my brother. Do you think banding is best??????

Dan

At that size I'ld think a knife would be best, just make sure to really stretch him out tight between a couple of good roping horses.

dun

Don't forget the blue lotion spray or furall. Wouldn't want to have a bleeder on your hands, might not make it to the sale barn

Summer before last I had an Angus cow staggering and bouncing/running into fences. I thought she had gone blind so I had to get close to her to see her eyes. They looked ok. She fell down and started having what looked like convulsions for a minute or so. She then got up and ran head-on into a tree. After the tree she just stood there. Next day when I went to see if she had survived she was out eating with the rest of the group. That was two calves ago. I wrote it off to heat stoke.

As far as this crazy cow goes I'm with the rest of you. It was the father in law or maybe a bee. ;-)

Latest posts