Crappie

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I went to the local fishing dock.
Fishing was pretty slow, but a storm blew in and it picked up some.
I caught a 14.5" or a little bigger crappie.
Sorry for the bad picture but I was alone and holding the fish in one hand and phone in the other.
That's a big crappie for this dock.
How common is it in other places ?

5-A6-A2-F9-F-DACB-4-E94-BE38-03-BB685-D83-F0.jpg

F05-AD850-518-A-402-C-AEA6-D611-B02-A157-C.jpg

TCRanch said:
Neighbor caught a 4 lb 7 oz crappie in our watershed lake about 10 years ago. Had it stuffed & displayed in his office.

Nice catch!

That's huge.
I looked up the Oklahoma state record for black crappie. 4# 10 oz dating back to 1974

It's a nice fish. I usually make time to go to the lake once a year and fish for white perch (crappie) with my two boys. We fish hard for two days, usually two nights. We have a really good time. Planning on going in about 3 weeks. Bad day fishing beats a good day at work!

That is a dandy crappie. There is supposed to be good crappie fishing here on the Snake River. That will be in May. I plan to go catch a few.

That's a really nice fish! Right now our sand bass are running and spawning the creeks. I'm hearing a limit is not hard to come by in a short time.

Dave said:
That is a dandy crappie. There is supposed to be good crappie fishing here on the Snake River. That will be in May. I plan to go catch a few.

Catch a couple of those grain fed crappie near where they load the wheat onto barges! Fat and huge!

Named'em Tamed'em said:
Dave said:

Catch a couple of those grain fed crappie near where they load the wheat onto barges! Fat and huge!

Those grain barges are at Lewiston/Clarkston. No barges up here at the upstream end of He77's Canyon. But upstream from the Brownlee Dam is suppose to have real good crappie and catfish. That is only about 30 miles from me.

slick4591 said:
That's a really nice fish! Right now our sand bass are running and spawning the creeks. I'm hearing a limit is not hard to come by in a short time.

I love catching sand bass, but hate cleaning them.
After I cut off the red meat I don't have enough left to cook

Cross-7 said:
slick4591 said:

Doesn't anyone clean fish the old fashion way anymore. I have never filet a fish.

kenny thomas said:
Cross-7 said:
slick4591 said:

Doesn't anyone clean fish the old fashion way anymore. I have never filet a fish.

How's the old way ?

Cross-7 said:
kenny thomas said:
Cross-7 said:

How's the old way ?
Take scales off, guts out, cut off fins and head. Fry with bones still there. Waste very little.

Only fish I filet are bass and "bigger" specimens. Average size panfish and shine-eye catfish get fried bones and all. I don't like bass unless the are filleted. But get them off the bone and they are one of my favorites. Right next to a small shine-eye channel cat and mullet. Getting hungry just thinking about it!

Cross-7 said:
What's a shine-eye ?

It's what the old folks called a small channel cat. A true channel cat. One that, when you clean him, will have two small, narrow rows of yellow fat down his backbone. Farm raised channel cats won't have this.

Latest posts