CRAP

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
I'm waking up this morning with 2 feet or better of snow and ice. Worried how well the livestock made it through the night. I even let Boone and Crocket my Border Collies sleep in the house all night and they are begging not to go out this morning. So today will be just a dig out day, work, work, work. Most everybody can't get to their jobs and many others can't leave their jobs. I just pray this stuff won't be here long, and our livestock made it through it well. Wishing good luck to my fellow cattle producers. Good Luck and try too Prosper!

TT, I heard I-24 was closed from the TN/KY line to the Illinois line. I'm in Caldwell County near Princeton between I-24 and I-69 or the Western KY Parkway.

Hope you find everything ok. We just got in and everyone seems ok. Had about 5 new calves born yesterday and all are ok.. Although, no one looks happy...We got around 5 inches of snow and ice with 40 MPH winds overnight. Thats after 1 1/2 inches of rain before dark...Now, its flooding.

It's all in your perspective. Not to diminish your concern, because dealing with that amount of snow is always a hassle, but some of us deal with it several times each winter. This year it's been 4 or 5 times. Granted we're accustomed to it, but it's still not fun. Our cattle survive just the same. Your snow from this storm will be gone long before ours, and it's been more than a week since the last one.

I would like to know how much snow we really got. I can't see my bottom two strands of wire anywhere. Weather service said 11 inches. It's more than that for sure.

Ron asked me to post these pictures. He has someone taking care of his cattle while he is out here in Missouri looking at cattle, and he was sent these pictures from the guy, Clint. Clint reported 16 inches in snow... Ron sure appreciates how Clint is taking care of his cattle!

Before the snow, there was a bunch of rain. This is Clint's farm, and the post just above water is actually the gate he drives through to get to his cattle..
hsp4kz.jpg

This is his cow that is due to calve in a few days, Stocky.
2a85moz.jpg

2wpnuhl.jpg

This is from the inside of the shop looking out, after the door was raised:
fe40pl.jpg

His poor cows, waiting for some hay!
2ak04l0.jpg

107qqsg.jpg

FlyingLSimmentals":3i4o0g9x said:
TT, I heard I-24 was closed from the TN/KY line to the Illinois line. I'm in Caldwell County near Princeton between I-24 and I-69 or the Western KY Parkway.

I've been through there. Nice country. I live in the Nashville area and all it took was 4-5" to shut this town down.

My man at the farm says we have well over a foot of snow on the ground. That's in Gallatin County about 45 minutes south of Cincinnati. I'm going up Saturday morning.

Trying get home myself. Daughter and wife have their hands full right now. I hope I can make it home from the airport in Nashville tonight.

TennesseeTuxedo":3czhe53j said:
tom4018":3czhe53j said:
Trying get home myself. Daughter and wife have their hands full right now. I hope I can make it home from the airport in Nashville tonight.

The main roads are clearing up nicely Tom.
Pretty bad in KY I hear.

tom4018":3sm4sbf9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3sm4sbf9 said:
tom4018":3sm4sbf9 said:

The main roads are clearing up nicely Tom.
Pretty bad in KY I hear.

Tom, the pictures above were taken in KY, at Inyeti's farm in Maysville.

I'm sure glad we didn't have any of that kind of weather here, but it was a shock to go from a sunny 82F yesterday afternoon to a very wet 32F and howling N wind this morning. I think we got an inch+ of rain while the front was blowing thru sometime between midnight and dawn.

Well I'm back in for a break, lunch, and some dry warm cloths. Been shoveling trails out, driveways off, and cleaning trucks off. Got my young bulls fed and the replacement heifers. I was able to get the ATV out and make it down the road to help my brother clean his drive. I did see my new black heifer calf and she looks to be making it alright. Turned the herd into fresh rolls yesterday evening seen them standing up there at the hay, didn't hear any bawling so hopefully they are alright. Don't think I had anything due to calve just yet, thank goodness. For the ones whom get this more often, I feel for ya. You all are some tough dudes and gals. Those pics at Ron's sure look a lot like it does here. We also had water standing from all the rain and sleet and the melting of the last foot before we got all the snow afterwards. I did take a yardstick out to measure before I walked in now, I'm coming up with 14". It is melting from the bottom, but it sure did look like 2' this early morning. Might of been because of the drifts. Good Luck everyone and be safe.

Sorry that all of you are having this bad weather. We are having rain here in Middle GA. We were wet enough, but after seeing pictures of what others are experiencing I will not complain. Hope your cattle will be alright in the snow and ice. Surely spring is not too far away!

Latest posts