Crabgrass on feed area

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Anyone had success broadcasting crabgrass seed? Have two 4 acre lots i fed on this winter. Probably have 30-40% of the soil exposed. No way to work on the ground due to rock ledges throughout. Whatever i do will have to be broadcasted.

In a week or two the animals will be removed. Will be putting something down soon there after. Will crabgrass work for me here? These two pastures are Fescue/OG/Bluegrass/Clover, but thinned out pretty good.

I'm open to other ideas.

Yes, I am probably a half a planting zone north of you, and crabgrass is what is on my sacrafice areas.

Bigfoot":2tqlo5a1 said:
Yes, I am probably a half a planting zone north of you, and crabgrass is what is on my sacrafice areas.

Do you broadcast it? How much seed do you put to it?

Vett - Thats a good idea. Think that's what i will do.

ClinchValley":a5bdwc9w said:
Bigfoot":a5bdwc9w said:

Do you broadcast it? How much seed do you put to it?

Vett - Thats a good idea. Think that's what i will do.

I broad cast. 10 pounds to the acre. 10 pounds is probably overkill.

Was just talking with Mr. Dalrymple on the phone 2 days ago to order this year's crabgrass. He recommended 3#/ac for overseeding as the low end of acceptable. For pure stands, I believe he recommended 6#/ac as the low end of acceptable. I plan on overseeding at approx 5# to the acre on a few sandy knobs this year. :2cents:

i've had good luck throwing out annual ryegrass on spots like that.

I've got about 30 acres I'd love to drill crabgrass or bahia into, can't believe how high crabgrass seed is. Bahia is pricey enough, crabgrass is ridiculous.