Crab cakes ..

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Made crab cakes for the first time last night . They were really good ,I would like them as an appetizer though rather than as the main course next time. The crab was mixed with egg, red pepper, green pepper, chives and chipotle mayonnaise with a dash of habanero sauce and chili sauce and then tossed in a bread crumb mixture. Then served with a side of chipotle mayonnaise. I used fresh crab that I picked up from our favorite seafood store in the city yesterday morning.

Prepared and then refrigerated for a while to let them set.
IMG_2431.jpg

After they were fried in yes, butter, you can also use olive oil.
IMG_2432.jpg

We just had them with a Caesar salad and that orange`ish mixture in between them is the chipotle mayonnaise. .
IMG_2433.jpg

They were missing a little something something I think, maybe something zestier.. Still really good though. I froze the left over patties for future use.

HD you crack me up. I have NEVER heard a Canadian say I'd like it a little zestier. LOLOLOL

Especially with chipotle and habanero in them. They sure look good. And don't apologize for the butter if God didn't want us to eat butter he wouldn't have invented cows.

That does look good. I even like the looks of the rabbit food on the plate. Do you think adding a tbs of red pepper flakes to the mix would add what you are looking for?

Thanks guys. It had enough heat, not too powerful, just enough to know it was there and still palatable. I was think maybe a pinch of lemon zest and a sprig fresh dill might be what it needs to infuse all the flavors. :?

dun":3my3fn2v said:
You don;t like the taste of crab it sounds like!

Crab actually is really bland not in a bad way though, as it adds to many dishes. I make a mean crab stuffed, gouda ,chicken breast.
I do like lobster better, it has a better texture and is a little sweeter. I love chili crab and crab dipped in garlic butter is fab, but as cakes you need to have more for the pallet. All the flavors should mesh together to make it a pleasant experience.. Maybe I have been watching too much of Gordon Ramsey.. :lol2:

We did break the rules and had red wine with it instead of white as we are not big white wine fans.. ;-)

I think I will cut out the habanero only use chipotle in the mayo and then add the dill and lemon to the cakes that might be the combination that makes it golden.

hillsdown":1ygvlt89 said:
Thanks guys. It had enough heat, not too powerful, just enough to know it was there and still palatable. I was think maybe a pinch of lemon zest and a sprig fresh dill might be what it needs to infuse all the flavors. :?

Lemon always goes good with seafood. Personally I like finely chopped celery and parsley in mine. (1/2 cup and 1/4 cup respectively) I like the different flavor and texture this adds but I like crab anyway its prepared.

doggoned HD you heated them crabb cakes up enough.an you had leftovers.next time add some chili pepper juice an see if they get hotter.i love lobster tail an crabb legs.now thats some good eating.

Hey HD, here is my favorite crab cake recipe:

Corn Crab Cakes

1 LB fresh or frozen crabmeat (not the fack crap!)
1 C. Corn
1/2 C. Diced Onion
1/2 C. Bell pepper(yellow, orange, red, or green)
1/2 C. Finely diced celery
1. C. Mayo
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Pinch of Cayenne pepper
Salt and ground pepper to taste
1 1/4 Bread crumbs
2 TBLS. Olive oil
2TBLS. Butter

Combine all but reserve 1 C. Bread crumbs, form patties and coat with remaining crumbs, fry in butter and oil.

Not as zesty as yours, but IMHO crab is a delicate seafood with it's own flavor. This is flavorful, not hot.

Latest posts