Anybody like fruit cakes?

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember a guy telling me one time about a hunt safari in Africa. They give the meat to the trackers and their families but they leave it lay in the sun often for a day or two. They say it is not good to eat until the flies walk on it and make it tender.

I do like them, in extreme moderation. That means very thinly sliced and only during the Christmas season and, they have to have LOADS of pecans. Probably more for tradition's value than anything else.

Perhaps the most well known fruit cake company in Texas is the Collins Street Bakery in Corsicana. Most families in Texas have at one time or another either received or given a Collins Street fruit cake to someone they loved or despised. The company is very well known and very prosperous. So prosperous, that one of it's employees was able to embezzle over $16 million from the company.
how to steal $16 million from a little bakery

(I know I have one each of these tins from when someone sent me one..perhaps an employer when I worked in O&G) One is from Collins Street, the other from Ya-Hoo bakers in Sherman Tx and it's known as a Texas Manor cake.
View attachment 23096

Another staid and staunch Christmas tradition that has appeared since the advent of the internet is people saying how much they hate them.
The Collins Street Bakery still does a nice business year round. They have a store out out on I45 as well as the main plant in downtown Corsicana. Lots of tourist thru the summer come to the plant for tours, cookies and sandwiches. They still sell a lot of their famous fruit cakes and there is always a help wanted sign out in front. They do a lot of things for the community.

We have a service club called Lions and one of their major fundraisers is selling Xmas fruitcakes. The cakes aren't bad either so I'll have to start looking out for them on shop counters. It is my best chance of getting a fruit cake since my mother died. No chance of getting Pam to make me one, I think it goes back to her father telling her stories about how dried fruit was made.

Ken
My grandmother, then my mother and now my wife make the best fruitcakes I ever had, they are far different than commercial ones and even most that claim they don't like fruit cakes like theirs and I'm not sure how you make dried fruit but it can't be as bad as chicken nuggets

Latest posts