Coyote's

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie":7q6k65xo said:
Never had a coyote kill a calf here, but I am certain they would kill one if they were hungry enough. Getting rid of them is not hard. People everywhere are looking for places to call/hunt coyotes. I love doing it, take a few off our place every year. Keeps them thinned out a bit. I don't want them over populated, but I don't necessarily want them extinct either. They are fun to hunt. Antelope, however, could be extinct. I would be ok with that.

My favorite animal to hunt with a rifle. In fact I am going to hunt them in a couple of weeks. I would be happy to help you thin that herd someday.

BTW my buddy in Southern Colorado has them and has eliminated the need to fix fences by raising the bottom wires pretty high off the ground. He says it fixed two problems the antelope damage and the giant piles of tumbleweeds.

I asked him if it was a problem with the cows getting out. He said the momma cows never go under and the calves just come and go like they would anyway. For the record he only does this on his interior fences.

Our coyote population is very big here but they never cause us any problems. I think it's due to the fact we also have a very large turkey and rabbit population which are the natural things they prefer to eat. If those species ever were thinned out the calves might be at more risk.

Kyle

A neighbor just told me I had coyotes chasing my cows/calves. I asked if he was sure they were coyotes? He said yes. I am still not sure if he saw them chasing the cattle. Since his divorce, tattoos and ear ring there has developed a tendency to exaggerate.
I have seen coyotes trail newborn calves and eat the colostrum poop. We have cows in each pasture that will chase a coyote if it comes close.

Look at the poop around the dead calf. Coyotes eat hide and all. Hair will be in the scat. Coyotes will also eat the eyeballs (as will buzzards).
We have coyotes. At first we considered them a threat. Now that are just part of the landscape. We only shoot them if it is convenient, do not actively hunt them anymore.