Coyotes. Warning - Graphic

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
This is the first calf I've had killed by coyotes. Momma was bawling in the woods and I found these remains. The herd was nowhere near.

I've heard the varmints yapping in the woods but have never seen 'em.

What's the best way to kill 'em?

Coyote_Calf.jpg

A .222 Remington on every tractor, car, truck, implement, and one in every corner of the farm. There are some other ways though. I actually had two calves some time ago that made it through a coyote attack. Ones hide was ripped off from tailhead down to lower leg, one from spine center to navel. Made for a lot of doctoring but they made it. Burros or donkeys seem to work as well.

Sizmic

sizmic":3pp2kprb said:
Burros or donkeys seem to work as well.

Yes, we have a burro and she does keep the dogs and coyotes out of the pasture. Also about 8 guns in the gun cabinet that work well.

:p

A professional trapper can help too.

CSM

There was a trapper on a farm next to ours that charged $500 dollars a coyote. That sounds like a lot to me, just to transfer it to some other part of the state and make it someone else's problem.

The trapper I use does not charge me, he wants the opportunity to trap on my farm. He does not release the animals. This is also an excellent way to thin down the dog population, which does as much or more damage than coyotes.

CSM

fourstates":yllna4gy said:
We have more coyotes than bullets.

We have the same problem, we still shoot em if they present themselves , but donkeys seem to work for us.

You need Jenny's with the instinct to protect. Don't keep any jacks and don't keep more than a couple.

That hurts! Gabby are you sure they killed it or could it had died and they got a hold of it.

I know three things you can try. First, if you don't have any brangus cattle I'd get a few. They are pretty protective and much more beneficial than a donkey.

Also, a lot of people are using coyotes in the fox pens here and the pens will pay $100 per yote so there are several folks out there wanting to trap them for free. Problem though, once trapped they become very trap wise.

I have a third and very efficient option you can use but I can't place it on the board. Kinda a last resort treatment. If the problem persists, pm and I'll give it to you. Its not politically correct though.

We also have more coyotes than bullets here, I never had a problem with them. Cows seem to run them pretty well. I'm wondering if the calf was still born and they got to it then, or as mentioned before maybe a big cat (cougar) or dogs. While I'm not an expert on coyotes in Georgia, out here they average about 40lbs may run up to 60lbs. Not real big dogs.

Just my two cents,
Alan

Once a Coyote gets a taste of calf you have a real problem. Coyotes are by far the #1 killer of calves in the US. More than wolves, cats, bears all put together. Ask any rancher in the West.
Once a Coyote population has learned to feed on calves its a real problem. Coyotes are shot, trapped, hunted from planes and helicopters whatever it takes to control them.

mnmtranching":3sikddqn said:
Coyotes are shot, trapped, hunted from planes and helicopters whatever it takes to control them.

You might wanna give Jogee a pm and find out what that third option is ! :lol:

We have Federal trapper. He doesn't charge. He comes in and calls the coyote in and shoots it. If he can't get them to come in he gets in the plane and flies the coulees around here. we also have a friend who traps and he is coming up next week to help get the coyote that has bee hanging around here.
Be thank ful all you have are coyotes. We have the bigger and nastier type animals. Have lost 2 known calves and one cow to them. No reimbursement even though the trapper said it was them that did it. Yes I am talking about wolves.

:mad: My experience is that its easier to learn to use a mouth call, than to trap coyotes. I use a mouth call by Primos called the Regulator 10. Works real well if you call and someone else shoots. Even if you miss, coyotes are very smart and will become more leary of your property. If you have any questions about this let me know.

mnmtranching":bde134dr said:
Once a Coyote gets a taste of calf you have a real problem.

That's what I was afraid of.

I moved the herd to an open pasture the same day I found the remains in the woods.

The next day another momma and her brand new healthy calf were waiting at the gate to join the herd. They had been in the same woods where the kill occurred.

I sure wish they wouldn't go off by themselves to give birth. I've seen how the herd will defend itself quite well from dogs, but it can't happen when one cow goes off alone and gets attacked.

Coyotes are a lot like Roaches, Ants, and other pests. Kill one and there's more in the woodwork.There's no one perfected way to stop them, as they travel a lot.

One evening I watched a pack of 4 coyotes cross my pasture about 200 feet where my herd was lounging and grazing, one cow raised her head to watch them, but the rest of the herd didn't even pay attention. That makes me know the cattle are very used to seeing them, and didn't see them as a threat.

The other day, my son's pig was loose in the pasture and the whole herd was after her. They never saw something like that before. Even the bull, went after her. She stood up to the bull and ran him off. Pigs are fierce. But the pig had enough and went home. I wish I had the camera.

The thing about coyotes, in the big range country.

When pray species are plentiful, like Jack rabbits, Cottontails, mice, grouse etc Coyotes will flourish often raising 6 or more pups per litter. Coyotes everywhere and don't seem to do much harm plenty to eat.

Then a bad Winter or disease all but wipes out the pray species, you have all these hungry scrubby Yotes. They come in amongst the cattle, eating afterbirth, carrion, etc. Sooner or later they get a taste of newborn calf, then learn that the insides are best, leave the rest to kill more.

That why ranchers will kill yotes anywhere anytime. Carry that rifle loaded and ready to shoot.

Many wildlife biologists preach yotes are necessary to keep rodent population under control. :shock: Sometimes maybe :roll:

ALX.":5mehqhix said:
mnmtranching":5mehqhix said:
Coyotes are shot, trapped, hunted from planes and helicopters whatever it takes to control them.

You might wanna give Jogee a pm and find out what that third option is ! :lol:

I'm not saying Jo does :shock: But I suspect Napalm, Bunker busting bombs, Cluster bombs, shock and awe :help: :help:

Latest posts