Coyotes. Warning - Graphic

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":2w448geq said:
I'm not saying Jo does :shock: But I suspect Napalm, Bunker busting bombs, Cluster bombs, shock and awe :help: :help:

:lol:
Or maybe just treble hooks :eek:

Bothers me that my neighbour brings the mangy freakin things home and skins the ones that aren't "too mangy", and leaves them hanging in his barn.

So his cats are around them, then come over to my cats and barn and dogs.

Apparently mange is a population control mechanism for yotes.

I have never seen a coyote attack a healthy calf, only a dead one that momma has abandoned. But,...here where I live rabbits are plentiful so they really don't need to. To me, that looks like a cat attack or dogs. Just my opinion :) Anyway, post your property on a hunting site for coyote hunts. People will pay you for the opportunity to hunt them.

Here in NW Iowa coyotes are becoming more and more plentiful. A couple of years ago I'd never seen or even heard coyotes, but now I see them fall through winter. When we bought our place almost 2 years ago I went to let the dogs out one night early in the winter and I could hear a pack over in the river bottom about 1/4 mile away. Lets just say my 2 blue heelers wouldn't even get off of the patio to do their business. We were concerned the coyotes would mess with our calves or foals, but so far we haven't had any problems, knock on wood. A friend of mine shot a coyote on his property next to ours about 4 years ago and when the hide had been tanned, it measure 6 ft from nose to tail. A guy I worked with this past winter is a big coyote hunter and he said one weekend 4 people harvested 15 coyotes. I'd keep a gun handy and advertise for a small fee people can hunt them on your property.

We had a few out in one of our horse pastures today , had the boys pretty riled up snorting and running
Anybody out there know anything about coyotes habits i.e. hunting times , or a good time to go looking for them , I am concerned they may find their way over to my cattle about another 1/4 mile away.

This subect has been beat like a dead Horse, in numerous earlier threads. I've never seen a Coyote bother any LIVING Calf. Dead ones-absolutely.Live ones? Never. Every one I've ever shot was either early in the A.M. or right before dark.

Agree with Crowder on this one. We have a healthy population here as well, and occassionally we'll liquidate some, but I"ve never lost a calf to one. I also would suspect dogs, which I have lost calves to.

Lots of yotes round here. Neighbor down the road lost a calf to a pack of six dogs a few weeks back. I think if the yotes wanted that calf or any other they could have got it. We have a sudden rash of bobcats here,shot a large (30 lb.) male the other day. He was right at the fence line in the back yard stalking my ducks.

Crowderfarms":3ns9hlkd said:
I've never seen a Coyote bother any LIVING Calf. Dead ones-absolutely.Live ones? Never. Every one I've ever shot was either early in the A.M. or right before dark.

I have seen Coyotes 'bother' living calves, I've also seen them running around in mid-morning, mid-afternoon, any old time of day.

Gabby: Do you have purple headed vouchers in your area. That looks like their kill to me. Coyote's will take everything usually momma will be looking every where for the calf.
I had a cow having twins the turkey buzzards kill the first one. This happened 3 year ago.
I have a donkey in one heard the calf loss sure went down.

hillrancher":3dd9wj2p said:
Gabby: Do you have purple headed vouchers in your area. That looks like their kill to me. Coyote's will take everything usually momma will be looking every where for the calf.
I had a cow having twins the turkey buzzards kill the first one. This happened 3 year ago.
I have a donkey in one heard the calf loss sure went down.

Hey Hillrancher - Purple headed voucher? Is that a buzzard?

Does the donkey care about people and riders? I take wagon loads of people out to see my cows and they walk around among them and I don't want to take any chances.

Crowderfarms":37555cwm said:
This subect has been beat like a dead Horse, in numerous earlier threads. I've never seen a Coyote bother any LIVING Calf. Dead ones-absolutely.Live ones? Never. Every one I've ever shot was either early in the A.M. or right before dark.
I agree. Coyotes get blamed for the work of buzzards, sick calvesdogs, etc. But the buzzards will usually stay until they finish off their meal. Dogs are a problem. Some will kill just for the sport.

kscowboy a few trappers like to get them in winter when they have a good pelt on them for selling.
IMO anytime you get one in the cross hairs is a good time to get one. There are leg snares, which can get your dog. A neck snare placed in a fence line in which they go through, same problem dog.
Calling and shooting would probably be the best.

Thanks for the info guys , guess i won't worry about it much but i do have the rifle ready ! just a thanks for the forum also , The experience here is so deep and to get good info is really great . Thanks

gabby":1vz25v30 said:
Does the donkey care about people and riders? I take wagon loads of people out to see my cows and they walk around among them and I don't want to take any chances.

Not wise to have donkeys around children. Had one try to catch my daughter. He's still on the farm, just not eating much anymore. ;-)

sizmic":1j3gge4z said:
There was a trapper on a farm next to ours that charged $500 dollars a coyote. That sounds like a lot to me, just to transfer it to some other part of the state and make it someone else's problem.

We've used trappers before and had very good results with them, but they never charged and they sure as hell didn't relocate the 'yotes - they trapped to kill.

fourstates":2w8dfpb0 said:
I'm thinking dogs or a large cat did that much damage. We have more coyotes than bullets.

I don't buy that. Dogs generally kill for the thrill of killing and don't eat their kill. Large cats would not leave their kill in the open like that, they generally put it in a tree so it would be protected and safe from other predators until they returned to it.

me too, see previous post. I am also thinking there are no cats in that neck of the woods. Maybe there are.

Sizmic

sizmic":3as35j8q said:
me too, see previous post. I am also thinking there are no cats in that neck of the woods. Maybe there are.

Sizmic

This very exciting to me. I see and/or hear coyotes around my place every single night. One evening a while back I was on a tractor doing some dirt work right before dark I had seven (7) come walking by an each side of me. First time in 40+ years I have ever seen that many together - must have been forming their night hunting parting. I have made it a habit to do a bit of reseach whenever I hear someone in the area speak of coyote attacking a calf. So far, speaking with ranchers from 2 to 60+ years experience I have never met anyone who has personally experienced an attack/kill of a healthy calf by coyotes. It was always after calf dead/dying or it was actually so-and-so down the road who actually saw it. I see coyotes alot during calving season - they mostly comb the pastures eating calf poop until the cows run them off.

So, you can see why this is quite exciting to me to actually have a couple of people who have personally witnessed this. Can you please provide more details? I am very interested. What was the cow doing at the time her calf was being attached? Where there other cows with them and did they just watch too? Did the attack result in a kill? Was there more than one coyote? I'm seriously interested.

I have not shot any of the coyotes around my place because they do a pretty good job in controlling mice, rats, wild hogs, etc. and have yet to bother any of the calves. But if I even expect they might, I would change my mind pretty quick.

Thanks!

It is a fact, Coyotes kill more cattle that all other predators combined.

We know all Coyotes don't develope a taste for calves, if they did there would be no calves, Coyotes are everywhere.

Coyote predation is more common in the North. Not uncommon for the northern Yotes to be 40 50 pounds.

Seldom feed on calves if small pray is available.

New born calves are vulnerable, cows can't count, she will concentrate on one Yote while others tear at the calve, many times wounding the calf to die later.

Yotes will not lay around and starve. Only takes 1 old Yote to teach the youngsters in the community, how to kill calves.

Latest posts