Coyote hunting and calling?

Help Support CattleToday:

The following is a picture of my son from yesterday. He set up 3 times and had two doubles and a single come in on him. The first setup was with the Foxpro and a rabbit call on low for 5 minutes then off then on high for 2 minutes and then off for a minute then on again for 30 seconds before a double ran over them.

The next setup was out in the open with snow camo and using a handmade squealer for about 3 minutes when the dog in the pic came into 150 yds and met his maker.
He had a partner but that one got away.

The third was a single and using a fawn bleat and a coyote locater alternately he called one in to around 300yds but let him go as it was a bad shot.

BTW it was 24 below zero when they got there at 8 am. Probably around 15 below when he got this dog! They are cold and they are hungry. From what i am hearing we are at the very top of a coyote cycle. My cow manager had 3 male coyotes come after her Border Collies out ing the open while she was standing in the middle of them. She shot one at 50 yds and another at 75yds. The 3rd got away. Broad daylight no calling. However they were tolled in by the dogs for sure!

100MEDIA36IMAG0263.jpg

Kenny what kind of calls are you using? Do you have a decoy that moves ? I always use those for coyotes because they are greedy and like seeing something flop around. I call in day alot and sit in my deer treestands or set up a pop up camo blind and am very careful with scents as they try to get down wind every time to check scent i also use coverscents in a can. The longest shot I have taken here was 140yds so to me your scent masked is the most important thing or your wasting your time. 2nd is the calls you are using.

skyhightree1, I have no calls and have not tried calling yet. Thought I would ask before I went out and bought a bunch of stuff that didnt work.

3waycross, how about when the temp is 60 and grass is still green. No winter here. I thought maybe the electronic calls would overcall. I have called fox years ago and remember the caller going constantly. Most of the shots here would be 100yds or less. Does that make a difference in how you call?

Kenny honestly I have mouth calls and have honestly never had a predator come into it and i have cheap calls and a few expensive ones. I use my foxpro and it is worth every penny I paid for it and worth its weight in gold. I buy extended life batteries and it lasts a while depends on how much I use it and temp outside. You may be excellent with a mouth call they didn't work well for me and involves too much movement and work. When calling something else you need to do is pay attention to your volume of your calling if your blaring and the coyotes close it could scare him whatever call you get or use mimic a animal dying get loud then soft so they think they are getting a nice free meal. My foxpro i have a remote i can mute it and control temperature from where I set up at normally 50 yds away

Yea, I personally don't like buying used electronic calls .. no warranty and they are expensive to replace. also believe it or not I have killed more predators with a mouth turkey call than anything.

skyhightree1":23yp2d6a said:
Yea, I personally don't like buying used electronic calls .. no warranty and they are expensive to replace. also believe it or not I have killed more predators with a mouth turkey call than anything.

I kinda thought a mouth call could work ok at certain times. I am just getting started in this so I have a lot to learn.

yea... try different things and find what works for you and what you enjoy. I know early morning right at day break when u start calling for turkeys it works well on coyotes and bobcats.

Kenny
My son told me the other day that when he is bow hunting for Elk and turkeys that he calls in several coyotes a year.

Foxpro is a good outfit. I have a no remote call i wish it was remote.

BTW the other call that works really well is a fawn bleat or a calf call.

We also are not that far from mating time and believe me they get real territorial when that starts.

I have called in and shot coyotes in the west, mid-west and southeast and I found that they are much more difficult to call in the southeast. There is so much cover, weeds, creek bottome, ditches, ravines and woods that they can be on you in a heartbeat. It is also hard to cover downwind. When I hunted them out west and in the midwest I could call in and shoot several in a day. Here in the souteast I feel lucky to actually kill one every 3rd time out. With all the cover they never really have to cross much open ground to circle downwind. I have had the most success in setting up where I had some kind of natural barrier on my downwind side. When I can I will set up with a cliff behind me or a wide / deep creek. It helps funnel them to you on the upwind side and hopefully across an open field. I have had the most action here when using a combination of sounds at the same time. The last two I shot have came to a conntontail in distress call and a woodpecker in distress call playing over the top of the rabbit sound. The newer electronic calls will play 2 sounds at the same time. I would think that your terrain in sw Virginia is very similar to my Tennessee terrain with fields and pastures broken by rolling to steep hills, creek bottoms and timber stands. I am going to go out this evening and tomorrow morning. I hope to have some success as the breeding season is now upon us.

Latest posts