Coyote Control

Help Support CattleToday:

SkinMan

Reaction score
What kind of methods do some of you use to get rid of coyotes? One of my cows had a calf last week, and she had a coyote about 20 feet from her watching all the action. It was about 2 in the afternoon. I ran it off, but I have been seeing more and more of them lately.

Try doing a search for "coyote" and you'll find a lot of discussion about them and ways to get rid of them.

Ryan":1f1oe3vd said:
We have longhorns. No coyote problems here.

And we have polled cattle with the same affect. So horns don't mean diddly. In CA a neighbor had a pasture that butted up to our place and I saw yotes ripping the calves out of the cow while they were in labor. I also saw those same cows run from coyotes. Ours charge coyotes after a couple get the calves gathered up.
I still shoot everyone I get a chance at, still hate the things.

dun

I think the longhorns dealing with coyotes is more maternal instinct than the horns. I know our cows do not respond well to any unusual animals in the pasture. We once had a big horned hairy sheep in the pasture (don't know how he got there or where he came from). He wasnt doing anything to the cattle, but once they spotted him they were after him.... same thing goes with coyotes or dogs or whatever else.

Coyotes are all over our place but they don't seem to harm stock. There are plenty of rodents, squirrel, turkey etc. You can get one of those electronic calls, hide out, and call them in for blasting. They are easily trapped too but you are going to have to be smarter than them. There is a guy north of me a couple of miles that snares them regularly. He fixes snares in his fences where they cross.

Biggest problem around here are the feral hogs. We've all been hoping that they coyotes take a liking to piglets.

Skinman what are you wanting as an end result?
Rid of as in won't bother you again=gun and well placed shot
Rid of as in I don't see them around =gun and poorly placed shot.

Haven't seen any coyotes around here. There may be some (have heard them howling on occasion at nite). If one of our barn cats gets close to one of our Longhorns they will chase it away. We have about 1/2 mile of 14' wide alleyways here. Our dog will stay in the middle of the alley and look the other way when passing one of our LH's. The LH's will all come to the fence to check dog out.

I don't think a predator would stand a chance getting in one of our pastures. They tend to support each other and if a calf squeels for some reason they all come a runnin! Maternal & bull instinct? Longhorn survival instinct?

Who knows for sure...

i saw a coyote out wandering around in the middle of the cows jsut the other day. calves just laying around everywhere. cows didnt pay it any attention at all and it was a big one too.

now a dog on the other hand, they will run out of the pasture.

that, to me, says a lot about what the cows view as a predator around here.

You are not getting rid of yotes they work 24/7/365. You are just a visitor as they were here first.
Takes a heck of a trapper to wipe out yotes, if you know what your doing snares will put a dent in them, as far as shooting you will get one or two and the will switch to black opps only.

I use a caller ( rabit in distress) seems to work best around 2pm in the afternoon. I have actually shot them three days in a row. Don't know if it's cause they're awfull hungry or they have a short memory. Also get a bobcat every now and then.

Cal

ltroglin":1yqeplwz said:
I have heard that if you have a mule or donkey in with your cattle you will not have any problems with coyotes

My donkeys will just stare at everything strange in the pasture unless it is a momma with a new foal. Only about half of donkeys are guards. You have to ask the breeder when you buy one and then make sure that you have a return policy if they don't guard. Otherwise, you will have something else to feed.

Ya'll keep thinking your Davy Crockett and patched the crack in the Liberty Bell. You might shoot a few, will be just as many next year as there is less small game predation. Coyote numbers are controled by small game numbers.
The problem with coyotes is they are smarter than 98% of the people after them.

Caustic Burno":e6fs3l4i said:
Ya'll keep thinking your Davy Crockett and patched the crack in the Liberty Bell. You might shoot a few, will be just as many next year as there is less small game predation. Coyote numbers are controled by small game numbers.
The problem with coyotes is they are smarter than 98% of the people after them.

But they're still fun to call in and wack. Since we don;t haave hogs to rassel with, I guess we gotta have something

dun

Latest posts